Author Topic: 1/32 Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)  (Read 29603 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: Handley Page V/1500 scratch build (slowgress report)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 02:32:29 AM »
I'm calling it a day. I have everything glued. The top tailplane is surprisingly light and sturdy.

No sagging so far.

Tomorrow will be a day of tedious work. Filling and sanding everything down to the right shape.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 05:24:26 AM »
Excellent results! I am in Awe!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi Rookie, I'm going to follow this with great interest. It looks very well thought out and executed so far. I'm going to have a bash at a first scratch build soon so this will be a great thread to learn from for me.

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 09:40:01 PM »
Thank you RAGIII and Richie.

Well, it may look like it's all well thought out, but I have my doubts.

I started sanding down the edges of one of the planes, but it didn't work out the way I hoped.

1. it takes AGES to get the right shape
2. there is not enough plastic "body"in the plane to allow for a gradual thinning towards the edge. The problem is that I'm almost sanding all of the 0.5 mm Evergreen away.
3. the sanding leaves a lot of Evergreen "dust"

These are already big parts. Maybe I should try the method Stephen (balsa core)  suggested?

Anyone?

The making of a mould to cast the rudders isn't satisfactory either. I used this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saOHcz4ehpQ

The silicon dries very slowly and if I want to finish this build before the next World War One Centennial I will have to come up with somthing else.

Maybe this is the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

Has anyone tried this method?

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »
Excellent results! I am in Awe!
RAGIII

You could learn a lot about managing a tidy workspace here, Rick

;D

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 07:19:58 PM »
I have abandoned the silicon mould project. The layer being this thick, it takes about three light years to dry. So I freed the rudder from the silicon-slush and made a mess of the kitchen counter top while doing it and spreading a vinegar odor throughout the house. When it is fully dried I hope I can peel the silicon rubbish off and try method number 2 with the Blue Stuff/Oyumaru. Less messy and reusable.

Making a new start with the tailplane too. The parts I did yesterday will be re-used at some point of course. On scale everything is 3 mm thick. So I glued a 1.5 + 1.0 + 0.5 Evergreen sheet together with Micro Weld. My wife didn't really like the combination of the two smells of silicon and glue, but we're still on speaking terms.

I saved the rudder from a serious drowning accident...

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 01:28:32 AM »
Kensar:

Willem, looking at what you are attempting with your Handley Page build and knowing how big it is , you may need to rethink your construction approach.
I suspect at the very least, you will have to make more 'traditional' 2 part molds.  The parts in the video you linked to are one-sided parts, not two sided parts like you are attempting to make.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 01:34:44 AM by Rookie »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 01:36:23 AM »
Yes, you are right Ken. I didn't think that one through. What is your opinion about the other method, using Blue Stuff/Oyumaru?

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 02:24:16 AM »
I cannot offer any constructive suggestions at the moment other than to try the balsa core method for your control and flying surfaces.

One thing about this project is that when you make a mess you do not do things by halves do you?!

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 06:50:07 AM »
Considering the size and relatively simple shapes of the parts you are trying to make, like Stephen says, I think the balsa core method would work better, but that will still have its challenges due to the size of the parts.

As far as thinking things through beforehand, one cannot foresee every problem.  You can learn a lot from trial runs and trying things.

Best of luck on your project.  Others may be able to offer ideas based on their experiences.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 08:52:17 AM »
Considering the size and relatively simple shapes of the parts you are trying to make, like Stephen says, I think the balsa core method would work better, but that will still have its challenges due to the size of the parts.

As far as thinking things through beforehand, one cannot foresee every problem.  You can learn a lot from trial runs and trying things.

Best of luck on your project.  Others may be able to offer ideas based on their experiences.

Another vote for the balsa core method, it's pretty easy, quick and reliable

The other thing is called 'experience', and it has to be earned the hard way. It teaches you loads, the best of which is persistence.

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 11:22:56 PM »
Glad you and your wife are still on speaking terms. Hope you find a solution to the problem, never done a scratch build before so can't offer any advice.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
Thanks Stephen, Ken & Richard for your advice. It's unanimous.

@ Stephen: Oh yes, I messed up big. I should have tried one and not all the planes and elevators all at the same time. It would have saved me a lot of material.

@ Ken: There will be more trying out things before ruining large amounts of Evergreen

@ Richard: I totally agree with you. I have little to no experience, and it is something I have to earn. I do not give up easily though.

...And back to square one.

I carefully looked at Ken's Fokker V.23 and Ron Kootje's Caproni Ca.3, two of the wonderful builds on this forum. Ron was kind enough to send me some photo's without the Photo*ucke* mutilations.

So I gave it a try. I had some 1.5 mm balsa lying around. I glued to strips together using ordinary wood glue and shaped the core of an elevator and then two strips of 0.5 mm styrene around it. The styrene strips are a little wider than they show on the Digmayer plans to allow the the bending of the trailing edge.

I must admit, it was much easier than I expected and I am happy with the result. I am going to make the wingtip the way Ron did for his Caproni. This was just a trial but I think it worked out fine. 

Today is a holiday in Holland and I'll try to get some work done.

Thanks for looking in.

Willem
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:28:42 PM by Rookie »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:22 PM »
Great Willem, so glad you've not been disheartened and are still working on this project. Looking forward to seeing what today's holiday brings!

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 07:27:08 PM »
Hi,

Here is the link to my Caproni build https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=533.0 For the main wing of your beast I would not use balsa but a harder wood. And don't glue a strip for the leading edge but fold a big sheet of styrene on it self scoring it with a ball, you can also score the ribs. Regarding you silicone adventure  I can cast parts professionally if you want. I wanted to scratch build this plane also until Wingnut wings came on the seen with the beast so I will wait it out for now.

Ron