The Coronavirus locked down theme build > The Coronavirus special theme build

CV Build Monogram Grumman Glufhawk

(1/6) > >>

smperry:
Having decided to build the Monogram Grumman Gulfhawk for the Corona Virus Theme Build, I sat down with the box and looked over all the pieces to see if I could recall why I quit working on it.

I found a spooge of some unknown substance on the underside of the top wing. I now recall that some years ago it was soft and sticky matching a similar glob in the box. I think it was a rubber band I had used when gluing the wing halves together. It reacted badly with the liquid glue. Now years later, it had hardened and was fairly easily scraped and sanded off. There was something else, so I kept looking and found one of the joints in the retractable landing gear struts had been broken. I reinforced the piece with a bit of plasticard which was drilled and pinned with brass tube. That was it, back on track now. This one is going together straight out of the box.

I primered as many parts as I could with white primer. I found a rattle can of orange paint the perfect shade. (Engine block orange good to 500 degrees.) It is slower drying than I'd like, so I'm hands off  until tomorrow, the finish looks great without fingerprints.

There are a few non orange parts that need to be sprayed, so I have something to do while waiting for the rest to dry completely. There is a decal for the instrument panel and I took the opportunity to see how the sun treatment and a coat of decal film had affected the decals. Not well it seems as the decal curled right up Micro Sol helped a very little and it ended up being stuck down with several applications of Pledge. This does not bode well for the rest of the decals. Any further decals will be cut from the sheet very carefully so as to leave behind a pattern for a mask in case I have to paint the markings. This was not supposed to become a major project, but since when have good intentions mattered. I will do a search for 1:32 Gulfhawk decals, but I expect they would be few and far between.
sp

RAGIII:
A great Old kit even if lacking in some details. I am looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII

lcarroll:
sp,
    I'll enjoy following your work on this one, I have the Military version in my Stash to add to my "Yellow Wings" shelf in the near future! It's a nice Kit considering it's mid 60's birth date....... almost, like yours, 60 years old!

Great choice! :)
Cheers,
Lance

smperry:
Thanks Lance
I may have painted myself into a decal-less corner. It looks like the decals will be a problem. Replacements for 20 bucks are starting to look like an option. Painting the white and blue sunbursts is a challenge I may not be up to. Done right, it would look great, but there are way too many opportunities to mess it up at my current skill level. May as well support a small business and order the aftermarket decals.

I saw one of these planes at the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola. It was a stubby little thing, you think like a biplane Wildcat, but not so. Way smaller. Sure would have liked to see a routine flown by the Gulfhawk, that had to be beautiful in the air.
sp

lcarroll:
sp,
    You are right, the thing is so ugly it's beautiful! I'd go with the AM decals, an easy and no doubt spectacular solution!
Cheers,
Lance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version