Author Topic: Airco DH.2 in 1:33 from a pre-printed kit.  (Read 5934 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Airco DH.2 in 1:33 from a pre-printed kit.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 07:40:58 AM »
Thanks Kevin. The back is the one disc I'd like to punch.
I've made a little progress, but the front  moving through is definitely talking to my back which hasn't the sense to shut up about it. Sorry if I sound grumpy I just am :-)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 01:41:13 AM »
This one is going very slowly. I always thought stacking discs to make cylinders was an easy option.   Not.  I can only go a 9 disc round or two before having to let the glue dry or the cyls start looking like a tiny card model of the Leaning Tower of Pizza.

The "paint job" on this model is poor enough to make the time and effort required to build it a waste of time. I decided to simply build it for practice working with paper card. That may also contribute to the lack of progress.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 04:47:41 AM »
Nothing wrong with using it as a test bed for practice SP

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
Agree with Terri.  Just don't let it sour you too much!! ::) ;D ;)

You'll learn a lot fixing stuff and making attempts. 

Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
I always thought stacking discs to make cylinders was an easy option.   Not.

Ahah!!! You NEED a Silhouette paper cutter like this:  https://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/2020/08/order-now-silhouette-portrait-3-new.html .   ;)

To grossly simplify: Draw two circles ( include center holes), duplicate xx times, cut from whatever material suits you, and stack using the center hole and wire. Projects like cardboard wing ribs and formers are 100% repeatable with precision.

There is of course a learning curve for the software, as well as a withdrawal from your wallet, but it's a fun machine. If you get interested, PM me and I'll walk through some of the basic considerations. Other modeling uses include making masks and markings. Deftly cuts .010 plastic as well for scratch building. And it will make doilies as well.  ;D

Of course Paper Model Purists do not like machines: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/41466-former-cutting-made-easier-silhouette-cutter.html

Gene K
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:26:49 AM by Gene K »