The Coronavirus locked down theme build > The Coronavirus special theme build

(Off-topic) a pair of 1/72 F4U-4 Corsairs "USS Boxer" (Korean War) (done!)

(1/8) > >>

jeroen_R90S:
These builds were actually stalled, even before they really got underway... A few years ago I purchased some decals from a small company called "Flevo Decals" which were for the entire air wing on USS Boxer on their first Korean War cruise. These includeded Skyraiders in several marks, Panthers, Corsairs in several marks, and a helicopter.

However, several years ago the only F4U-4 Corsairs available were the Italeri and Hobbyboss easy-kit, neither of which are really great, and also of the wrong sub-version. (4x 20mm cannon versus the 6x 0.50cal guns I needed)
So, enter the new Revell F4U-4. For about 7€ I got 2, to make both options on the decal sheet:

However, on first inspection, my enthusiasm was kind of tempered...:

The wheels are one-piece and came out of the sprue like that... though they do have nice hollow spokes...
As I tried fitting the separate wingtips and more and more parts came from the sprues looking like the wheels, I wasn't really motivated to keep going... Also because the model isn't really all that accurate as a -4 Corsair, being based on their F4U-1.
After this the model languished in my box-of-someday-I'll-get-to-them, until some time ago I slowly picked them back up.

The -4 had a different floor and seat, so out came the Evergreen:

The fuselage halves on both kits came out like this...:

To cater for the different versions, the cowling is a poorly fitting complex assembly -though it does come with a nice engine and open or closed cowl flaps:

Which, of course, had a gap-tooth look that I filled with Evergreen:

Accuracy-wise, the model has had some critic regarding it's length. I'm not a Corsair expert, but here is one half next to a Tamiya half (Revell light, Tamiya dark plastic), lined up at the wing rear.
Interestingly my Italeri F4U-5 has the same length as the Tamiya, so take your pick...

The dreaded wing tip issue was finally resolved by removing the pin-and-holes on the insides, as well as more sanding, as the tips are thicker than the wing itself.

And I can keep going on, but these models were stalled several times, as e.g. the inner wing pylons are in the wrong place, the carburettor intake on the -4 was moved to the chin intake so the wing inlets were different (I rebuil them with strip and hacking away)

In spite of careful assembly I still needed to pack out one wing half with Evergreen to keep everything aligned:

As you can see I also filled the flaps, as they were depicted as fabric.

So, on and off this is about where I am, despite the careful assembly I stil had to use quite a bit of filler and that's where they both are now -waiting for more sanding and and fettling.
Still a lot to do, the models have no proper weapons (not even pylons for the wings) and miss quite a few details, such as radio altimeter antenna, boarding steps, etc etc...

I would really be pleased to get these two done!

Jeroen

jeroen_R90S:
By the way, when I sent the photo of the canopy with the big bubble in it to Revell Germany's Department X a few months ago I got 2 sets (the other one was just as bad) that weren't perfect either, but at least usable.

RAGIII:
Excellent start! I had heard Revelle of Germany had some issues with bubbles in canopies on some kits. I was lucky that MY 1/32nd FW190 did not have the issues!
RAGIII

IanB:
I'll be following this one. The owner of the flight school I trained and instructed at in Florida flew these with the same squadron! He has pics of one aircraft with a huge hole in the right wing caused by AA fire. He got it back on the ground safely, just not on the carrier!

Google Crystal Aero Group and take a look through the photos, you'll see quite a few paintings of Corsairs and the carrier on the wall, plus a huge model of 210, his aircraft!

Ian

jeroen_R90S:
Thanks!
Nice link there Ian! When I have some more time I'll look them up and see what I can find. If I can I might do "210" then, as the numbers are around and the sheet provides extra serial numbers as well.

Off to more filling and sanding now...

Jeroen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version