Author Topic: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke  (Read 88265 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2020, 10:34:10 PM »
Excellent job on those instruments, Rick.
I have made struts from coffee stirring sticks.  Don't know what kind of wood they are.  They were a bit flimsy, so I glued two together, then sanded both sides down until I got the thickness I wanted.  With the glue seam in the middle, they are significantly stiffer and stronger.  Then drilled holes in each end for a mounting wire.
Good luck with the struts.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2020, 11:45:29 PM »
everything continues to look great!

For the instrument panel details, are the switches from an etched set? Are the instrument bodies parts that come in the kit or scratched?

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2020, 11:47:11 PM »
Don't the struts neck down to the central fixing? My understanding is the vertical struts are in two parts

Richard

First I think you are correct as to the two part construction. As for the "Neck Down" part again It think you are correct. My question is to what degree? Compare the Hobby Craft H strut to the Roden kit H strut. It is there on the Roden kit but more subdued...or am I imagining things  :o Knowing My skills I May end up going with the kit struts slightly modified or as is !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2020, 11:50:47 PM »
Excellent job on those instruments, Rick.
I have made struts from coffee stirring sticks.  Don't know what kind of wood they are.  They were a bit flimsy, so I glued two together, then sanded both sides down until I got the thickness I wanted.  With the glue seam in the middle, they are significantly stiffer and stronger.  Then drilled holes in each end for a mounting wire.
Good luck with the struts.

Thanks Ken. Like I have said we shall see how My strut making goes!
RAGIII

everything continues to look great!

For the instrument panel details, are the switches from an etched set? Are the instrument bodies parts that come in the kit or scratched?

Thanks Patrick. The switches were made from wire. I cut some bezels and used the pieces to sort of represent the surroundin parts. As for the instruments they are a combination of kit parts, sprue backings, and some have PE bezels. The faces are Airscale.
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2020, 12:46:09 AM »
I suspect you are running into a real world physics/model world thing.

My bet is the real struts (these are not struts of course) were actually quite thin - far thinner than you can easily injection mould. If I'm right, both kits are compromises, and you are seeing different ways around the problem.

If so, thin struts represent a greater risk than thick ones, likewise thin necks are more risky than thick ones. It's possible the Hobbycraft kit was pushing the technology more than Roden and taking a chance on failed mouldings

I have noticed the Hobbycraft kit tends to be much finer in detail than the Roden ones - the trailing edge of the wing for instance

We need some real-world information to know which is more accurate

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2020, 01:30:13 AM »
I suspect you are running into a real world physics/model world thing.

My bet is the real struts (these are not struts of course) were actually quite thin - far thinner than you can easily injection mould. If I'm right, both kits are compromises, and you are seeing different ways around the problem.

If so, thin struts represent a greater risk than thick ones, likewise thin necks are more risky than thick ones. It's possible the Hobbycraft kit was pushing the technology more than Roden and taking a chance on failed mouldings

I have noticed the Hobbycraft kit tends to be much finer in detail than the Roden ones - the trailing edge of the wing for instance

We need some real-world information to know which is more accurate

Richard

If you have the SPAD XIII Datafile look at the photo on page 31. If not I am attaching a link to Mikes PDF. His strut work and reference  photos are on page 14.

I also find it interesting looking at the seats. I used the Roden seat because it more closely matched the one in the restored Memorial Flight SPAD 13. The seat ends right at the bottom of the Head rest and Pad, blocking the V shaped brace.( Revelles Old 1/28th kit seat is even closer). But looking at the reference photos in Mikes build the seat ends lower and the bracing shows behind. Probably one of those things that could vary by Manufacturer...too late to change Mine Now  ::)
RAGIII

PS: Just checked and the Memorial flight SPAD is Kelner built so at Least Rickenbackers SPAD will be close. Revelle probably used his in Making the 1/28th kit  ;D

http://igavh2.xara.hosting/index_htm_files/Spad13.pdf
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:48:36 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Radarman

« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2020, 02:20:34 AM »
RAGIII,
Nice looking cockpits. Following these Spad builds are a great help for my future plans. I'd like
to build one on the guise of the 13th, 22nd or 93rd Aero Squadron.

Thanks for posting,
                                                               Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2020, 02:31:23 AM »
RAGIII,
Nice looking cockpits. Following these Spad builds are a great help for my future plans. I'd like
to build one on the guise of the 13th, 22nd or 93rd Aero Squadron.

Thanks for posting,
                                                               Kevin

Thanks Kevin! I hope to see your builds someday!!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2020, 06:12:19 AM »
I am catching up Rick and you have moved so fast that I have had to spend more time than usual doing so! Your instruments are really the bees knees - I forget sometimes just how small these parts are even in this giant scale. I have got to make some for my build shortly and I am not sure than they are going to be anywhere near as good as yours, and mine are going to be much more visible!!

Excellent modelling .... x3!!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2020, 06:30:59 AM »
Great work on the instruments Rick. Bet you had fun carving the strut, might as well make the rest of them now. The kit parts will still be there if you don't like the results. At this rate you'll have them all made and the wings on in no time! :)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2020, 07:07:18 AM »
Right. I have looked at lots of pictures of SPADS

Those false struts look pretty straight to me

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
I am catching up Rick and you have moved so fast that I have had to spend more time than usual doing so! Your instruments are really the bees knees - I forget sometimes just how small these parts are even in this giant scale. I have got to make some for my build shortly and I am not sure than they are going to be anywhere near as good as yours, and mine are going to be much more visible!!

Excellent modelling .... x3!!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen! I am sure with your skills all will be fine with your instruments!
RAGIII

Great work on the instruments Rick. Bet you had fun carving the strut, might as well make the rest of them now. The kit parts will still be there if you don't like the results. At this rate you'll have them all made and the wings on in no time! :)

Thanks Richie! Yes, I will carve a bunch of struts, but I do plan to use the kit supplied outer struts....unless I suddenly get really good at this  8)  Alternate plan "B" is to use card and superglue to fix the kit inner struts.
RAGIII

Right. I have looked at lots of pictures of SPADS

Those false struts look pretty straight to me

Richard

I was afraid you would come to that conclusion  :-X I was sort of hoping fpr the opposite  ;D
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2020, 06:59:45 AM »
Moving along:
1. I added sheet styrene rounded tips to the upper wing of the "Early Guynemer" version  wing  and removed what was necessary from the original "Square" tipped wings. Next process will be to use Milliput , then sand away anything that isn't correct  8)
2. I filled the fuselage seams on two out of three fuselages. One is the early Guynemer fuselage and I sanded a bit more on the removed panel from the left fuselage.

Next will be to fill and sand the third fuselage and work on the lower wing of the Early version.
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2020, 07:17:10 AM »
I'm loving this mass production Rick!  The Guynemer wing tips look good.  Keep going! ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2020, 07:23:24 AM »
Excellent looking tip mod Rick.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.