Author Topic: Shock news - Wingnut Wings is closing down  (Read 26717 times)

Online macsporran

Re: Shock news - Wingnut Wings is closing down
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2020, 06:58:44 AM »

Sadly, Bernard Hill played Yosser Hughes in "The Boys from the Black Stuff" - a series by Alan Bleasdale about a bunch of out-of-work Liverpudlians desperately trying to find work.
Yosser's catchphrase was "I can do that, geez a job" (Usually shortly before nutting somebody!)
Posting Hill's picture is more apposite than you probably intended!

Offline Lettow

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 01:55:07 AM »
Sadly, Bernard Hill played Yosser Hughes in "The Boys from the Black Stuff" - a series by Alan Bleasdale about a bunch of out-of-work Liverpudlians desperately trying to find work.
Yosser's catchphrase was "I can do that, geez a job" (Usually shortly before nutting somebody!)
Posting Hill's picture is more apposite than you probably intended!

I went off to Wikipedia to read up on Yosser Hughes, The Boys from the Black Stuff, and nutting.  Then to Youtube to see Yosser Hughes best moments.  Wow!  I had no idea!

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2020, 04:15:25 AM »
I just learned all of this today which followed learning of the passing of both Paul Leaman (WWI Aviation Historian) and Sir Stirling Moss, both age 90.

First, my gratitude to Sir Peter for bringing us WNW.  He set the bar for WWI models and I think providing a model (sic) for CSM to follow with their Nieuports.  One of these I have on my bench currently.

I do not know anything of New Zealand politics, other than Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern has impressed me with her responses to the mosque shootings and COVID-19.  I also know she leads a Liberal government in a time when the tax base has been depleted by the economic shutdown. I would suspect that in the aftermath, all forms of 'corporate welfare' will likely come under scrutiny as the government will need funds.  Apparently from the February news clipping, Weta was already.

Another reason for my pessimism is that the kits were molded in China.  It is quite likely that this may have been done in a province where the outbreak has been severe.  This could have harmed the subcontractor, its employees or the molds themselves could be infected.  Apparently the virus can live on metal surfaces. 

If this comes to pass, my first thought is for the talented employees at Weta and WNW, who through no fault of their own are caught up in this. 

Offline Russell

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2020, 06:14:00 AM »
.........Another reason for my pessimism is that the kits were molded in China.  It is quite likely that this may have been done in a province where the outbreak has been severe.  This could have harmed the subcontractor, its employees or the molds themselves could be infected.  Apparently the virus can live on metal surfaces...

The moulds could be infected? Really?

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 06:16:53 AM »
I have a friend who is a bacteriologist and some of his clients were industrial firms as bacteria can grow on molds and dyes.  Now this thing is a virus and it can live for a time on metal, which is why door knobs are a path of transmission.

Online macsporran

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 07:07:14 AM »
Calm down chaps, according to bacteriologists reporting on the BBC, the coronavirus can live for a maximum of 48 to 72 hours on steel. It is dependent on the material and it can only last for 2 hours on copper and 40 minutes in air.
Don't think there is any worry of moulds carrying this virus live.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2020, 07:37:25 AM »
I'll see how things develop, but my thoughts go to all the guys working both at WnW and other businesses globally, affected by this.
Stay healthy everyone!

Offline Gene K

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »
That Fokker DR. I seems a million miles away now!

Very sad if it all indeed comes true ... for the company employees and for the modeling community.

Hopefully CSM is able to weather this virus storm, and take up where WNW leaves off, in particular as concerns the Dr.1. CSM is certainly capable, but likely isn't big enough ($$$) to buy what WNW has done on the Dr.1.

Gene K

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
Is it possible they just going into mothballs for a while?
Or just cuting costs and going brown box, trying to be profitable with best sellers etc?

They still must have a lot of stock in warehouses. What happens to that?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:58:57 PM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Russell

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 06:14:14 PM »
I have a friend who is a bacteriologist and some of his clients were industrial firms as bacteria can grow on molds and dyes.  Now this thing is a virus and it can live for a time on metal, which is why door knobs are a path of transmission.

Has your bacteriologist friend heard of ammonia or alcohol based cleaning agents?

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »
Folks - enough with the posts about how long coronavirus can survive on different surfaces and cleaning agents etc. This is a topic that can get wildly out of hand very quickly.
Those who want to debate scientific and bacterial research topics will find plenty of sites elsewhere to indulge their interests. We are a model forum. Let's stick to our chosen topics please.

Dave Wilson
Forum Owner & Administrator
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online macsporran

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2020, 11:12:16 PM »
Sorry about that Dave -to get back to the main topic you posted:
A lot of our compadres are mistakenly assuming the rumours of trouble at WNW are due to the coronavirus and lockdown, which undoubtedly are not helping the situation. However there are apparently more important factors contributing to the gloom regarding the future of Wingnuts.

There is currently much controversy in New Zealand over a substantial amount of public money spent on promoting film companies and production facilities there. Peter Jackson’s WETA Group is said to have benefited greatly, including a substantial annual subsidy from the taxpayer. Many questions have been asked as to how this public money has been spent, with little apparent benefit to the public at large.

For example, it has been asked if some of the money was used on non-film activities within the Group, such as TVAL and Wingnut Wings. Perhaps there  might be expensive legal battles ahead if WNW were to continue trading. Who knows, but please let’s stop endlessly posting the statement about Covid – this has little to do with the fears many of us have for the company’s survival.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »
It may be a number of factors involved. But as Richard says it’s grim.
Seems we wait on official announcements these days for news to get worse or better.
PJ’s enterprises employ people and bring in tourism. At the moment tourism is dead. Movie making has taken a hit (though watching them at home has increased!) So the squeeze is on.

I’m hoping their and our own setbacks are temporary and survivable. But this will change things long term into the future no doubt.
Modelling companies will be affected like anything else. But they have the great basis for a new and invigorated Wingnuts 2.0.

As mentioned they might have a more traditional business model after a trading halt. Maybe they’ll go into 1/48. At this stage we wait for an announcement...I’m certainly reticent about ordering from their website until I hear more.

PS That’s a great meme above ‘How did it come to this...’
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline jeff shreve

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2020, 05:52:49 AM »
Very sad news. They not only made the best WWI kits but the best kits period!

Hope they do secure their assets to either sell off or revive at some point. Many assets get "lost" in that country when this happens - including tooling for models.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2020, 07:01:47 AM »
Folks - enough with the posts about how long coronavirus can survive on different surfaces and cleaning agents etc. This is a topic that can get wildly out of hand very quickly.
Those who want to debate scientific and bacterial research topics will find plenty of sites elsewhere to indulge their interests. We are a model forum. Let's stick to our chosen topics please.

Dave Wilson
Forum Owner & Administrator

Thank you!  And folks!  If WNW goes away permanently it will not be because of the Corona virus!

There is more at play here.  Exactly what, I'm not sure, but this has little to do with COVID 19.