Author Topic: Early Bird Stripdown  (Read 1185 times)

Offline smperry

Early Bird Stripdown
« on: May 02, 2020, 07:10:17 AM »
I had a chance to visit Bear Hobbies in Tampa today and Greg, the owner, had a rack of "used" kits. I nailed a Sierra Scale UFAG, a Pegasus SSW D.III in a bag, a Koster Fokker D.VIII and a triple kit of early birds. These are the ones that were plastic frame over which you applied a paper covering. It occurred it me that I had 3 ready made stripdown models. Or half stripdown, half covered. So I snagged the kit for 15 bucks and now I need to find some documentation and photos and see if I can come up with a creditable stripdown in 1/72 scale. Besides, if you've ever tried to do one of these early bird models with paper covered plastic frames, you know why a stripdown version appeals.

Oh BTW, Bear Hobbies has a full rack of Humbrol tins. First one I have seen in Florida. Now I can try some of the color recipes calling out Humbrol numbers,
sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline rhallinger

Re: Early Bird Stripdown
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »
That’s a very cool haul sp!  Congratulations.  I love the early pioneer aircraft.  Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in NY has some interesting original 1:1 pioneer types.  Great air show, too.  I hope they can get open this summer.

Enjoy!

Best,

Bob

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »
The Antoinettes are beautiful aeroplanes

Good find

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
Richard, I agree about the Antoinette, one of the best looking of the early birds. I think this one lends itself to half covered and half stripped.

Bob
I thought it was a good haul as out of all the kits I mentioned, this one was the only one over 10 bucks and that divides out to 5 bucks a kit for the three. Some days your allowance goes farther than others. Things haven't changed all that much since I was 8.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 02:44:47 PM »
I wonder if new producers will ever attempt to give hobbists a new moulded stripdown model in larger scale... Congratulations on your finding and purchase, these early birds are interesting subjects and I always regret not having purchased any of the beautiful, old AJP maquettes featuring photoetched frames to cover with kabuki paper. A word about Humbrol enamels: they had to change paint components to comply with safety regulations and I find the new colours less friendly then old ones.
Ciao
Giuseppe