Author Topic: Revell 1:28 Spad XIII as Luke's plane, at least the one he was photographed near  (Read 18308 times)

Offline smperry

Richard
With the flying field closed and Walmart only a mile away, I'm at home all the time. I'm taking the opportunity to work on my modeling skills. I lost so much by not using them for the last 10 or more years. So I have nothing better to do than see how much closer I can come to what I imagine than I have been able to so far.

As I was putting the CSM resin Hisso pieces in a bag, I figured I might as well round up all the plastic kit pieces for the engine. Oh my, the kit engine is smaller than the CSM aftermarket product. As I recall, there wasn't a lot of room inside the model for the kit engine. Has me wondering. Looks like a but of judicious trial fitting is in order at an early stage. I'll see what fits and take it from there.

In the mean time while I await an order from Albion Alloys, there are 3 figures that look all glossy and green, think seasick zombies, something needs to be done, I'm starting to worry, won't open the kit box without an XActo in my hand. These guys need help. That should keep plug wire harnesses off the brain for a welcome spell.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

I am certainly looking forward to what you do with all of the tubing!   The figures should be an interesting challenge. I am also looking forward to seeing the results on them! As for the engine size difference you may need to thin out the kit cowling and other parts...or you could just super detail the kit Engine  8)
RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:55:47 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

Rick
I tack glued and trial fitted both engines. The CSM is slightly bigger but seems to fit , though as you say a little thinning of some panels and it should be fine. I was going to build both at the same time just in case, but I'm pretty sure the CSM engine will fit. I am presently scraping seams on the figures, one done and two to go. Then there will need to be filler in a few gaps. Finally something to use my Squadron green on. Once that fill and sand process gets done I'll be in uncharted territory. BTW, what is the record number of rookie figure painting mistakes that has been documented? Hey, I gotta have something to shoot for :-)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Just getting caught up on this one , those details are looking pretty darn good so far . :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

Just as detailing the engine required supplies not in stock, I find after reviewing several online tutorials on figure painting with oils that I lack some critical tools. So those poor guys get to languish in their coat of white primer until I can acquire the correct brushes and other tools for the job. A large round engined biplane of the RC variety had a nice circular plug used for centering the cowl which I hung on to because as we all know, there will be a use for it some day and so there is.

At least I will have something to paint them on when I begin.

So it is on to the CSM Vickers guns. The Heat/Cool/Bend procedure worked and the cooling jackets came out fitting perfectly. I will post photos when they look more like guns
sp

Offline RAGIII

Nice start on the figures with the primer SP. Looking forward to seeing those Vickers!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

The Vickers were going swimmingly until I noticed the PE fret said 1/32 Vickers. Mad scramble through the wastepaper basket to find the paper that came in the little plastic bag. Sure enough 1/28 Vickers it sez. So now I go to the kit and see what can be done with the kit parts. The gun part was bigger and better detailed than the CSM resin parts. the barrels, not so much. In fact the PE barrels from CSM are slightly longer.  Out with the razor saw and switcho-changeo.

The overall length is just about exactly the same as the kit piece This is critical IIRC, as the cowl piece over the motor is removable and slips under the two gun barrels  when put in place, so exact size matters here. Every once and a while accidents turn out well.  If I had hit a dead end on the guns, I was going to shelve the model until more ducks could be herded into a row. As it is, stay tuned for finished guns later this evening.
sp

Offline smperry

As advertised, 2 kit bashed Vickers guns.
sp

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Please cut that 'hook' off the top of the Vickers. It might be trying to represent the Constantinesco trigger motor - very badly.

The SPAD used the Birkigt system driven by a rotating rod from the end of the camshaft - it looks completely different

You can see the drive rod on the port gun here:

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

Your Vickers look Terrific SP! Well Done!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

Thank you Rick.

Richard, that is a great photo, also shows the sight mounting. Thanks. I was wondering about the hook thingies. I won't be sad to see them gone. Taking a break from the Spad and fixing a broken model today. It has already progressed beyond a repair into a full blown rebuild, top wing fell off. Gee, wonder how that happened.:?
sp

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Hi SP,
I'm a bit late in on this build.
If it helps there's a lot of information in my PDF build log of Luke's SPAD.

http://igavh2.xara.hosting/#xl_xr_page_spad13

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline smperry

That's a mighty fine Spad Mike. I will be going over your photos and notes carefully. Thanks so much.

I have been fooling around with some inside detail. I made the wooden structure out of strips of 1/64" ply stained and varnished. The bracing wires are 1 ib line and the turnbuckles and eyelets are Bob's. My first successful use of the little beggars. The engine bearers were painted Testors wood and then given a dry brushing of raw siena and a couple coats of Pledge. The instrument shelf is also 1/64 ply varnished with orange pledge.

Going to have to be some careful fitting and whittling to  make sure all the added stuff fits with the kit parts. Having fun for now.
sp

Offline RAGIII

Wow SP! That interior work looks Fantastic. Hard to tell the difference between the painted and real wood so you have been successful in Multiple respects!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

Thanks Rick. Finally getting some traction on this model. I'm actually getting better at manipulating those little turnbuckles. Assembly time down from 30+ min to 3 to 5 min per eyelet, tube and line assembly. I have to stop and let everything dry and get hard before doing some test fitting, trimming and notch filing, I need to ensure everything fits now that I have cluttered up the inside with a bunch of stuff. Best all paints and glues have time to set up well before Dr. Sawbones here gets to hacking and fitting. ( also not a bad idea to knock an item or three off Momma's Hunny-Do list tomorrow )