Author Topic: RFC Nieuport 17's in PC10... were there many about?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline William Adair

RFC Nieuport 17's in PC10... were there many about?
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:53:57 PM »
Hello chaps.  I'm thinking ahead a bit to what I'd like to build this year and the current favourite is a couple of N.17s.  I'd like to do one as an RFC type and fancied a PC10 scheme as a contrast to the regular silver-grey.

I'm aware of Ball's machine A213, but I'm a bit thrown by the huge propeller boss that spoils the look to me.  Ideally it would be great to discover another one that might make a nice subject.  I thought I'd throw the question out there to any of the resident experten.  Are there any other documented Nieuport 17s in PC10?   ???

Offline Borsos

Re: RFC Nieuport 17's in PC10... were there many about?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 02:01:13 AM »
As far as I know Nieuports were either delivered in eduit metalisée or French two/three/four color camouflage (depends on what confession you have regarding the Nieuport camouflage religion :) ). I never heared of a Nieuport in PC-10, but it’s possible of course that Nieuports were repainted on squadron level.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 03:18:30 AM »
There is a colour profile in the Cross and Cockade Nieuport book from the mid 2000’s that has Balls A213, but its in two colour camouflage could be pc10 and pc12. 
Also an all pc10? nieuport 23....

Remember not all Nieuports were French built.
Ray

Offline William Adair

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 09:34:26 AM »
Thank you for this.  You won't believe the rabbit hole I've been down with the Nieuport 23s..!  ;D

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 04:23:29 AM »
William...in the Osprey (my bible) Nieuport Aces of WWI, (the) Norman Franks says " Quite often the RFC Nieuports retained the silver-doping the French used, although others were camouflaged, some in the French fashion, or in the standard British khaki-green." ...quite good enough for me...I'm absolutely accoutering one of mine in PC10, you bet....and I'm sure I will love it.   
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde