Author Topic: Aviattic Decals  (Read 1331 times)

Offline smperry

Aviattic Decals
« on: March 28, 2020, 03:32:43 PM »
I have been out of it long enough that these Aviattic decals are brand new to me. I have a question or few for anyone who has some experience with these products. I see that there are often two products identical except one is printed on clear and the other on white. Is the clear backing to allow preshading? Is there any special preparation and finish needed before the decals go on, especially with those ones that do the whole model?
TIA
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline AndRoby67

Re: Aviattic Decals
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 10:12:17 PM »
Hi,
my experience with Aviattic decals was really good.
I used lozenge for two of my Fokker D.VIIs and they need a clear base to fit better.
They are thin and strong, it allows to made some movement and adjust before drying.
Take care that they are (the clear based ones) a little bit transparent, so every difference of color that you have under it will appears.
They reacts very well to special liquid for decals, I used Gunze Sangiyo Mr. Mark with good results.
Roberto

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
The clear vs white background is afaik exactly that: if you like preshading or not. I worked more than once with Aviattic decals and I was always very happy when using them. They are thin, strong and stick well to the surface (important if you have to mask over them). On my last build I used a hair dryer to bring them down into the recesses and it worked really fine. There’s only one thing you have to be careful with: they need a flawless, glossy surface to avoid air bubbles under them. So a careful coat or two of future or whatever you use is essential. I frequently worked with huge decals (covering a whole lower wing...) and never had any problems. And if you use the „cookie“ decal sets, you even avoid cutting rib tapes, another huge advantage in my opinion.
I have no connections to Aviattic but being a satisfied customer, and I cannot phraise this stuff highly enough.
Andreas

P. S. There are critics out there who dislike the linnen effect on the decals , it is out of scale they say. I disagree with them and I love this effect of woven canvas.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 11:42:50 PM »
Good article, thanks
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 07:49:15 AM »
Aviattic decals are superb! Very durable and forgiving.  If you follow the instructions that Richard includes with every set, you will have no problems at all.  And the Linen decals are NOT out of scale.https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/af342/coyotemagic_photos/Polish%20DFW%20CV/.highres/2016-02-17%2014.48.14_zpsu6cbuobc.jpg
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence