Author Topic: No 1A de Haviland: 1/32 stripdown Airco DH 1A  (Read 17921 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: No 1A de Haviland: 1/32 stripdown Airco DH 1A
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2020, 12:00:37 AM »
Yes, nice work, Stephen.  You're pretty handy with a soldering iron.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 12:15:15 AM »
Seriously inspiring Stephen, once my 3 projects are finished I'm putting the kits aside for a while. I hope you don't mind if I ask what might be lots of really silly questions.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 01:03:08 AM »
The changes look terrific and your overall clean and precise work is amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 02:23:11 AM »
Thanks Terri, Rookie, Ken, Richie and Rick for the encouraging comments.

Richie do not hesitate to fire away with questions - I am certain that they will not be silly at all. I will do my very best to answer them.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 02:25:09 AM »
precise work is amazing!
Yes! Everything so precisely angled!
Stephen, look, they're gonna take that away and use it as a pattern for 90° angles in the "International Bureau of Weights and Measures" in Paris. Take care!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2020, 09:03:27 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks for the warning Frank: I will keep this model under lock and key in future!

I have rewritten the instructions several times as I try to work out the best way of going forwards with this one. Originally I had intended to add the interior details of the nacelle and then proceed with the ribs on the lower wing, but then I realised that the pilot's seat, the engine and radiator would stand very proud of the top of the nacelle and would in all certainty be knocked off when I try to put the wing ribs into place. So a rethink or two later I decided it was safe to put in the observer's seat and rudder bar, after the seats and rudder bar assembly had been completed. The seats were mounted on plywood sheets resting on the nacelle frame, so they were represented by thin plastic card:

I am still not sure that I am happy with the seat belts - I may replace them later. The observer's seat and the rudder bar were fixed in place:

The wires in the second photo are from the ribs nearest the nacelle: these have been painted and rigging and bracing wires inserted because it will not be possible to reach here later on in the build when I want to start rigging. I also inserted the next three ribs between the nacelle and the boom attachment point on both sides of the nacelle. The booms are from brass rod and were soldered to the rear boom: the ribs against the nacelle were far enough from the soldering iron and hot metal that they did not melt. I did not photograph the jig for soldering on this occasion but it is simple enough to describe. I set the nacelle sub-assembly on a block of balsa wood and placed the brass rod booms over a copy of the plan. The height of the rear end of the boom relative to the spar is calculated from the side elevation drawing as follows:

a. draw a horizontal line from the rear of the rib to beneath the rudder post;

b. measure the vertical distance from the bottom of the rudder post to the line. This distance is the height that the rear end of the boom needs to be above the rear end of the spar on the model.

Now a block of wood or other support can be set at the correct height relative to the nacelle sub-assembly and spar and the ends of the booms placed on it.

With the booms soldered and the joint cleaned the inner ribs could be slid into place and set with CA:

To get the ribs accurately into place on the opposite side I had to pin the structure to the balsa block and pull the ribs over the plans:

The ribs outboard of the booms could now be put on with some of the flying wires attached via holes in the ribs, as I do not wish to use turnbuckles. Personally I think that the items available on the aftermarket are too large to be realistic, and in addition trying to fix them on parts of this model, (the brass bar nacelle frame and brass rod booms), is not possible. However it does mean that I have a tangle of threads on both wings which I am sure are going to be a real pain during the build until I fix the top wing and can put them into place:

Two small ribs are missing from the wing tips - these are being left off at the moment as I have decided that the brass bar alone is too thin to represent the spars accurately so I intend to add strips of 30 thou plastic to the top and bottom. If I put the last two spars into place now I know for a fact that I will have to put them on again after I have knocked them off!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2020, 09:07:29 AM »
Stephen,
I really enjoy following this type of build. I learn new techniques and this helps me to become a better
modeler. Thanks for showing your progress.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2020, 04:26:31 AM »
Wow, Stephen this is a bit of a masterclass in scratchbuilding! A lot of very meticulous planning must have gone into it. Do you plant the entire build from start to finish?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2020, 05:04:37 AM »
I never cease to appreciate your skill at scratch building! The ribs , seats, and booms are just another example!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2020, 05:04:53 AM »
Wow!  Stellar modeling on this one Stephen, but such is routinely the case with your very interesting projects.  Very nicely done!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2020, 05:21:49 AM »
Stephen,
    It was not that long ago that I recall your expressions of being "daunted by soldering", now you are regularly turning out superb results like this very impressive frame! This is top notch modelling and the accuracy and quality of your products are inspiring to say the very least. I am enjoying following your progress here and look forward to more!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
Hey Stephen , see you have been busy making ribs and also glad they aren't covered in sauce  ;) Excellent work on the cockpit framing and starting with the details . I like the seatbelts , I would leave them .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
This is shaping up nicely, Stephen.  Looking good!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2020, 12:02:53 AM »
How did I miss this thread... mindblowing, Stephen. I am speechless but will remain so and admire, to the very end.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2020, 01:47:42 AM »
so enjoyable reading your updates, i always feel like grabbing a cuppa and settling in for an interesting read. Great work and i have much admiration for what you're doing and the way you're going about it