Author Topic: Any decal printers among us?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Iancshippee

Any decal printers among us?
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:23:13 AM »
If any of our strength are skilled in this manner, I have a need for some registration decals for a specific Tiger Moth I’m modeling in 1:48. All I need are registration numbers for under the wings, on the rudder, and the words “Royal Navy” for each fuselage side, all printed in black. If you can help with this, I’ll send you a picture and the sizes needed. Thanks in advance! Will be part of an eventual diorama of a current WW1 museum/airfield, a past aircraft from the collection.

Offline Iancshippee

Re: Any decal printers among us?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 06:23:40 PM »
I managed to get my decals printed at home successfully. Moderators feel free to remove!

Offline Marcel van Genderen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 10:28:11 PM »
Hi, can you maybe give us some hints on how to? I have the same problem, I need 1/24 decals for my Albatros DV.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 12:22:05 PM »
Sure! mine were simple, just black lettering onto clear backing. I ordered clear decal paper, and downloaded the font i needed into microsoft word. I printed out a few test sizes on plain paper first, to see what would fit on the model. once I had the sizing right, i set my printer settings on highest quality (just a simple inkjet) and then let the ink dry for a couple minutes. to seal it in place, you then spray it with a clear acrylic spray (mine was a Testors product specific for decal sealing). after a few minutes of drying time, a second coat and then once it dries you're good!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 08:57:32 AM »
Does anyone out there in the forum have the ability to produce white decals? I have some white lettering / inscriptions (think presentation aircraft) that i'd like some decals for, but I can't print these at home without white ink. Does anyone have the ability to print something like this?

Cheers,

BC

Offline Berman

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 01:37:43 PM »
Brad,
         You need to find someone with an Okidata C711WT laser printer. These printers have white toner cartridges. However, they sell on EBay for between $2600 to $3500 USD. I would like to find this private decal maker myself. I believe printing a white base first would produce an opaque color decal printed on clear decal paper.

Offline O_Pablo

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »
Hi Brad, I think you could contact with articdecals.com for regarding your decals. Gabriel Stern (Moa) from Britmodeller orders his decals quite regularly there.
Regards
Paul

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 10:28:49 AM »
Does anyone out there in the forum have the ability to produce white decals? I have some white lettering / inscriptions (think presentation aircraft) that i'd like some decals for, but I can't print these at home without white ink. Does anyone have the ability to print something like this?

Cheers,

BC

Hi Brad

Check this company out:

https://drdecalmrhyde.com.au/

I haven't used them yet, so I can't vouch for their quality, but I am planning to. They do custom printing of decals and can do white decals as well. Their prices seem pretty reasonable as well.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Gene K

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 01:52:22 AM »
Does anyone out there in the forum have the ability to produce white decals?

Printing on white decal paper and careful trimming work if the letters are not too "complicated". Surround the white letters with guide lines or background color.

Gene K