Author Topic: Washes  (Read 1386 times)

Offline smperry

Washes
« on: March 08, 2020, 06:48:05 AM »
Looking at the builds here I am seeing lots of parts other than just engines that look to have been treated with some kind of wash. It really enhances the realistic look of the piece over simple painted on color. This monkey has seen and now he wants to do.

What does one use for a wash?
What treatment does the part get before and after the wash?
Any tips anyone cares to share about making and applying washes?

Thx
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline eclarson

Re: Washes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 07:58:51 AM »

These days there are many commercial weathering and wash products that do the trick (AMMO by Mig and AK Interactive are two popular brands), and I use some of them, but for general detail highlighting on engines and other areas I still like using a homemade wash of dark brown-black artist oil paint mixed with mineral spirits or odorless turpentine.  Raw or Burnt Umber colored paints are good ones for such a wash.  Here's an informative article on the subject which though showing as use as a panel line wash, is also useful for general detail highlighting.

https://www.agapemodels.com/2009/04/03/modeling-techniques-a-simple-oil-wash-for-panel-lines/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
Thanks Eric. That was a good article and it answered my questions. Appreciate the help.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
Another alternative is to use a non-acrylic clearcoat like Testors Metallizer sealer after decaling and use a water-based wash,acrylic artist paint with a drop of detergent works well;I use both systems with satisfactory results.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 04:22:59 AM »
Thanks Eric. That was a good article and it answered my questions. Appreciate the help.
sp

You're welcome!  Glad it helped.

Eric

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
I use this for my washes , it is clay based with water . I also use coloured chalks . Sanded some done with a sanding stick into a small , added some water a tad of dish soap . Mix this really well and apply away . Let dry wipe away excess with a damp soft cholf .

https://www.florymodels.org/

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:40:11 PM »
Thanks I learned something new with this info
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 12:05:42 AM »
These are all useful techniques, and I've just learned some things!  Great linked tutorial, too. Thanks for sharing, everyone,  . . . and thanks for asking the question in the first place sp! ;) ;D

Best,

Bob