Author Topic: WNW Camel Firstever build log  (Read 7842 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: WNW Camel Firstever build log
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2020, 10:47:13 PM »
The Pup would be a relatively easy build.  Are you looking for another challenging project, or a rebound project?

Offline RichieW

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2020, 11:20:56 PM »
Hi Kensar, thanks for the reply. Looking for a rebound project. Without exceptionall of the problems I've had here are entirely of my own making. It's fun trying to fix them but I need to relax during lockdown!

Love the Pup, such a beautiful little aircraft.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:55 PM »
Sorry to hear your Camel is sidelined but I understand the Need! I haven't built the Pup but I did find the triplane pretty straight forward. I have also built 2 of the CSM Nieuports and they are great kits but do require a lot of double checking of fit and construction sequence. I would certainly Save the Roden SE for a time when you want a challenge. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2020, 12:05:04 AM »
LOL, thanks Rick. I opened the Roden SE5a box and found the transparency sprue was missing so that one is ruled out!

I may have found an answer to the Camel woes but fancy either the Pup or the Tripe. The Shuttleworth collection replica Tripe is my absolute favourite aircraft. Was going to build it as that but for the sake of ease it would have to be Black Maria. Think I owe Collishaw that after trashing his Camel! :)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
We have all been there and done that Richie , and still do !

From the online builds I have seen here the Pup is a great choice . Nice little kit and straight forward . Even with the glass missing out of the Roden Se5a it has fit issues and other minor stuff . It does build into a beautiful kite . It will test your nerves to say the least .

The Triplane is also a excellent kite , not a lot of struts to mess with  ;) What ever subject you choice , will be tagging along you do nice work  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2020, 03:31:38 PM »
Thanks so much Terri, I'm going to make a start today. Nothing like a clear work bench and a set of freshly snagged sprues to get the mojo back. The Roden kit doesn't sound great! Looking at how chunky the Triplane cabanes are, I think it will be next in to bat.

Back soon!
Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2020, 10:55:39 PM »
Thanks so much Terri, I'm going to make a start today. Nothing like a clear work bench and a set of freshly snagged sprues to get the mojo back. The Roden kit doesn't sound great! Looking at how chunky the Triplane cabanes are, I think it will be next in to bat.

Back soon!
Richie

The Triplane struts are indeed Sturdy! They also line up nicely.. I recall mounting the wings to be a pretty straight forward process.
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2020, 09:02:47 AM »
Sorry to read that you have had to put the Camel on one side for the moment - I do hope that you pick it up again in future as it has the makings of a first class model. I hope too that you will start another thread for the Tripehound or I for one will be totally confused!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »
Thanks Stephen, I really appreciate the encouragement. Salvation is at hand for this one though. I just found out that HGW make wet transfer decals for the registration code and the fuselage C. Under our present circumstances they will take a while to get to me. I also have roundels that are a near perfect match.

I have been experimenting on plastic card with home made masks, the results were very encouraging but I was concerned that the colours weren't quite the same as the wing decals and painting white over dark PC10 seemed to come with plenty of problems.

In the meantime I'm carefully scrutinizing the Tripehound instructions before diving in on the rebound. I will start a new thread for it as soon as I have something to show, it looks like a really beautiful kit.

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »
The last anything was seen of this I was having major decal problems due to rough handling and overuse of micro sol amongst various other mishaps. The upper wings in particular suffered:

20200501_161923 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Not a pretty sight!

The only way round it was to mask and paint, I've masked camouflage marking on Spitfires and Hurricanes before but that doesn't require great precision so I practised painting roundels on plastic card and this morning managed to do this:

20200502_112759 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Not perfect but a vast improvement on how it looked and I would certainly have settled for this result before starting. The fuselage roundels were replaced with 1/48 wing decals from a Pheon Triplane set, I didn't do a great job on them either so I may well mask them too. I'm a bit concerned about the fuselage stitching causing problems so will sleep on it. It's probably time I did some work on the Triplane and Roden SE5a. HHmmm, perhaps I should clear my desk up a bit first.

Thanks for reading.
Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
Very nice recovery Richie! The sprayed roundels are indeed a vast improvement. Much better than My patched up Camel Roundels!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2020, 09:43:47 PM »
Thanks Rick, you've been with this one from the very start. Without the support and encouragement of this great forum I may well have administered the coup de grace to it with my cricket bat by now!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »
Nice fix Richie.  Those wings look very Good!  Well done.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RichieW

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »
Thanks Bob, it feels like a life time ago I started this build. I've made so many mistakes on it but because the kit was so expensive and no longer available I'm having to learn lots of new skills to correct them. This may even get finished one day!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
Excellent recovery with the roundels - I scribe mine with dividers and hand paint them on my models in God's Own Scale but that is not really practical in this Brobdignagian scale. I would be hard pressed to recognise those as being other than transfers.

Making mistakes and learning form them is a good thing to do in modelling - well it is for me at least as I am doing it all of the time! The key question is: does anyone know unless you tell them? If it looks good when you have finished then count it as a success!!

Stephen.