Author Topic: Impact of the coronavirus on new kit release schedules  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Impact of the coronavirus on new kit release schedules
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:54:33 AM »
While the world's media indulges in hysteria about the rapidly spreading coronavirus, the impact of the virus has effectively shut down China and thus it appears has also seriously disrupted production of new model kits there.

Copper State Models has publicly acknowledged its new releases will be delayed by some months as the factory in China that moulds the kits has been shut down due to the coronavirus crisis.

Wingnut Wings also has its kits moulded in China and we asked Richard Alexander, General Manager of Wingnuts, for an exclusive update for Forum members on the status of their 2020 production problems. He points out that many people in China are taking extended New Year holidays at present. But the coronavirus will impact Wingnuts' plans too.

"There will be some delays but as it is a constantly developing situation we are unable to accurately estimate what delays there will be to Wingnut Wings new model production.

"There will almost certainly be some impact on the release of 32051 1/32 Handley-Page O/100 but the biggest determining factor remains that no Wingnut Wings model will go into production until I have approved the tooling.

"Wingnut Wings warehouses are strategically positioned in The Netherlands, Seattle, Hong Kong and New Zealand. This allows us to continue shipping models to our distributors and retailers should any one location not be open for business for any reason. Currently our Hong Kong warehouse is still open for business. In other words, international and domestic retailers of Wingnut Wings will not be affected as far as sourcing currently available models," Richard says.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline James

Impact of the coronavirus on new kit release schedules
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 08:02:04 AM »
Thank you so much for the update, Dave. A delay won't hurt as we've waited for their new releases for a while, a little longer won't hurt.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline RAGIII

Thanks Dave for taking the time to contact Richard. I had read the Copper State comment and it is good to know WNW status.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline janh

Re: Impact of the coronavirus on new kit release schedules
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 06:12:25 PM »
This is a moment to think about our fellow (Chinese) man temporally imprisoned to avoid a contagious disease instead of leading a productive happy life

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »
thanks for the exclusive update!

some delays might be beneficial... for our bank accounts.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:03:26 PM »
Deep State Chicanery!!!! >:(

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 09:51:38 AM »
Well, I think the overwhelming majority of us have more than enough in the stash to keep us busy for quite a while.  :)

WD

Offline Vickers

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 06:41:49 AM »
Well, I think the overwhelming majority of us have more than enough in the stash to keep us busy for quite a while.  :)

WD

Au contraire, I need their new Fokker Triplanes with all due immediacy so that I can set them in the stash alongside the Roden versions that I've had in the stash for something like a decade. ;)

Seriously, I do hope that the wave of this epidemic has crested and that any people affected can resume a healthy, normal life soon.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 09:22:36 AM »
Yes Vickers, agreed. I'm more concerned that they actually get a handle on how this thing is spread, etc. and get folks well than I am anything else regarding this.

WD