Author Topic: sculpting a 1/32 scale German aviator  (Read 5417 times)

Offline kellerkind

Re: sculpting a 1/32 scale German aviator
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
step 7 more pics...

Offline kellerkind

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »
Step 8
The figure is now ready for molding on the table in front of us. The plug connection to the arm has been completed, everything has been checked again for possible defects and found to be good. In order to be able to cast the figure, she now needs a so-called sprue. The material later flows into the mold through this.
Since resin is quite thin and the figure has very little volume, you only need small sprues. These consist of two 2mm thick round rods, which are glued under both shoes with a drop of superglue. This has the advantage that the material can flow into the mold on one side, while the air escapes from the mold on the other side. This prevents the formation of air bubbles and the resulting misfires. The large sprue block serves as a material reserve through which further resin sags.
Now all we have left is to glue the two parts onto a plastic plate and place four walls around it that form the molding box. Liquid silicone is then filled into this under vacuum and pressure. After a few hours, the mold walls can be removed again and the figure can be removed from the silicone by careful cutting with a sharp scalpel. The mold is now ready for the actual casting and can be filled with resin. Depending on the setting time, the first copies of the original can be obtained in a relatively short time.
The last step would be to paint the figure, which I will not go into here due to the lack of skills.
Thank you for reading, and see you soon,
Martin "Kellerkind"

Offline kellerkind

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
step 8 the last pics...

Thanks again for your interest and your Kind comments.
Best regards,
Martin

Offline smperry

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2020, 10:19:57 PM »
Very nice of you to post the process. I followed each update and still, the whole thing seems magic to me. Sculpting is an art my brain does not seem to process well, I am just happy the ole noggin can at least appreciate other's art. The hat really finishes the piece nicely. He was starting to look like Uncle Fester before the hat. :-)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 11:18:24 PM »
Fascinating processes and Superb results Martin! Thank You for sharing!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2020, 10:12:01 PM »
Wow this is fantastic to know about! Thankyou!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘