Author Topic: New year, New project - Sopwith F.1 Camel (1/16)  (Read 7174 times)

Offline chowhound

Re: New year, New project - Sopwith F.1 Camel (1/16)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 02:53:49 AM »
I seem to have solved the part numbering problem. Found a great movie on Youtube. As a result, the parts were not numbered, but installed from a numbered stack. For us model makers, this film is certainly interesting (some people may already know it). Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVG0-sbx3wA

Juergen
Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Offline chowhound

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »
Hi fans,
after I applied the primer to the wings and the fuselage, everything was painted with the basic color wood brown.
For further processing, everything must now dry thoroughly. Here is a picture with the upper wing attached.

While waiting, I started with the machine guns. They are actually very well detailed, only the crosshairs are a little too thick.
So I worked on this a little with sandpaper. After that everything was painted with black metallic.

The main gasoline tank is already painted in silver by Hasegawa, which almost reminds of chrome.
Since the tank consists of two halves, you can of course see the adhesive seam. Not nice :(. After the seam was sanded, of course, it had to be repainted.
Since I didn't like this Chrome anyway, I rubbed the tank with Rub'n Buff Silver. Now it looks more like polished aluminum.
Let's see if I repaint the other parts like that.

That was it again.
Until next time
your Juergen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 05:44:13 AM »
Machine guns and tank look excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline chowhound

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 06:12:40 AM »
Two little updates!

Let’s start with the pilot’s seat. After the wicker got a light brown, a real leather pillow is of course missing. Since painting as imitation leather would not satisfy me, I tried real leather. Fortunately, I still had some fine black glove leather in my fund. I think the result is impressive.

The second update is the instrument panel. After applying a light brown, the wood structure was designed with burnt umber and burnt sienna. The wood is of course not as red as in the pictures. Furthermore, the instruments received their decals and glasses. As you can see on the original panel, the brass pipes to the instruments were missing. This shortcoming was remedied with 0.2mm brass tubes.

best regards
Juergen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »
Beautiful Instrument Panel. Looks suitably used!
RAGIII

Offline chowhound

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
Start rigging!
So now I've started rigging. As noted earlier, I don't want to use the yarn for this. So I twisted three pieces of copper wire 0.05 mm in diameter. This was done with a so-called rope striking machine, which is also used to manufacture ropes for shipping. The ropes thus created were then attached to the attachment points (eyelets and turnbuckles) as a thimble.

Furthermore, I dared to paint the wood. While the struts are not a particular problem, it looks different when painting larger areas. After applying a medium wood brown as the basic tone, the grain was applied with various umber and siena tones. Since my colors are all matt, everything was covered with future to get a silky sheen. I think I managed to get a very reasonable wood representation.

Then until the next update!

Juergen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 02:56:22 AM »
The wood looks awesome as does the leather padding!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 05:20:44 AM »
I think that you have got the wood tones right too.... will you paint mine for me on my next project??!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »
Those are some impressive wood tones  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline chowhound

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
Short info,
unfortunately the rigging with the Gaspatch turnbuckles does not work as I had imagined.  :-[ The resin is so brittle and thin that almost every second part breaks away. >:( I've tried normal yarn now, but with a reasonable tension, it's almost the same result. So I'm going to remove all of the turnbuckles and continue with simple brass sleeves. Gaspatch also has 1/16 metal versions, but they are very expensive. And since I need almost 100 pieces, it would be more expensive than the kit. And it's not worth it to me now. Especially since it is not even said whether these parts do not break just as easily. In addition, these turnbuckles are more intended for the visible area of ​​the bracing, and therefore certainly too large for the bracing of the fuselage and the inner area of ​​the wings. As soon as I have finished the new variant, I will upload pictures of it here. I'll be curious what you say about it. Maybe someone has a tip, or completely different ideas.
Best Regards
Juergen

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 11:23:29 PM »
0.7mm brass tube should be just about right for your rigging.
Good luck!

vB 

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline chowhound

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 07:15:10 PM »
Rigging the fuselage.
As promised, here are a few pictures for rigging the fuselage. I used yarn similar to EZ-Line, but a little thicker. To simulate the turnbuckles, I cut 0.7mm brass tubing into suitable lengths and pulled it over the yarn. The yarn was then painted iron-colored. I thickened the paint a little to get a little more diameter and a rougher surface. In the last two pictures I inserted the armchair, fuel tank and cockpit floor to see how the tension works.

Until the next update
Juergen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 08:49:09 AM »
I really love how your Camel is shaping up! As I am working on the WNW kit now I appreciate what you are doing and I am looking at what I can add to mine...based on yours!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 09:16:40 AM »
Super detailing. I especially like the idea of using brass tube to represent the turnbuckles.

Stephen.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
99% of the tension on the fuselage has finally been completed. I built 84 brass sleeves for this. Now 64 sleeves are added for the wings. A total of 1 meter (39,3 inch) brass pipe was sawn.

The next challenge continues. The control cables to the elevator, rudder, and ailerons. What is interesting when controlling the rudder is that the tail spur was moved at the same time. This made the plane easier to maneuver on the ground. Really clever! I used Hasegawa material for the control cables. There are 10 ropes in total. You quickly lose track of things. This is how the whole thing looks embarrassed. The most critical point is to attach the control cables to the steering gear. Everything here has to be 100% accurate, since the oars are supposed to move over the joystick and the pedals.

That was it for today again.
Juergen