Author Topic: SPAD V.II Nr 115 Esc 3  (Read 9807 times)

Offline FAf

Re: SPAD V.II Nr 115 Esc 3
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2020, 12:06:45 AM »
Ouch! That hurts. Hopefully the end results can make you feel that it was worth it anyway. Struggle on!
/Fredrik

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
Well, here we go again:

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2020, 10:26:17 PM »
Good Luck on the roundels Richard I Hope things go More Smoothly this time!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2020, 04:02:18 AM »
Much more successful:

I have stopped treating my airgun like a spray can and started regulating the paint flow. And spraying down the centre of each marking to avoid building up paint along the edge of the masking

Richard

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2020, 07:54:02 AM »
The latest version of the markings look Terrific Richard. I think you are getting it down pat with the airbrush!
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2020, 08:10:49 AM »
The latest version of the markings look Terrific Richard. I think you are getting it down pat with the airbrush!
RAGIII

It was silly really. I have a nice dual action airbrush, I was just stabbing at the button and getting a big flow of paint. I have been training myself to push down to get the air, then pulling back gently to control the paint

It is really noticeable how much less paint I am getting onto the surrounding masking. A new skill to learn I guess

Richard

Offline RichieW

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
They look great Richard, I've been experimenting spraying roundels on plastic card and found that what you are doing is the best way. I've been trying to apply 2 very light mist coats first (after getting advice) which I let dry before giving a final coat. The first coats help prevent paint bleeding under the masks. Seems to work.

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2020, 05:57:25 PM »
They look great Richard, I've been experimenting spraying roundels on plastic card and found that what you are doing is the best way. I've been trying to apply 2 very light mist coats first (after getting advice) which I let dry before giving a final coat. The first coats help prevent paint bleeding under the masks. Seems to work.

Richie

Yes, I was shown that misting first technique when spraying a car. It seems to seal the edge of the masking

By 'dry', I let that coat evaporate the solvent before continuing, not completely harden - is that what you are doing?

Richard

Offline RichieW

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
Yes Richard, I just give it a jet of air from the airbrush to help the solvent evaporate. I had so many problems with paint seeping under masks before Rick (RAG III) suggested this.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2020, 10:18:39 PM »
Yes Richard, I just give it a jet of air from the airbrush to help the solvent evaporate. I had so many problems with paint seeping under masks before Rick (RAG III) suggested this.

Another little trick for eliminating seeping paint is to spray the underlying color first. So if you are applying a mask over white, spray white after applying the mask, then the next color. That way if anything goes through under the mask it is the base color and seals the mask . "Old Painters Trick"
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2020, 03:37:31 AM »
Thank you, Old Painter

My chosen SPAD VII carries Guynemer's usual markings:

The Roden decals just about held up for this

Richard

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2020, 05:04:29 AM »
That looks really nice from here. Glad to read that you are learning to control the spray gun - I could never seem to get the hang of one of those things. I think that they are just too complicated for my elementary skill set.

Stephen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2020, 07:23:59 AM »
Lovely markings Richard. Did you use the kit Decals? I never had much Luck with Roden decals. Really Hot water does seem to help a bit!
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2020, 07:39:37 AM »
Lovely markings Richard. Did you use the kit Decals? I never had much Luck with Roden decals. Really Hot water does seem to help a bit!
RAGIII

Yes, and I used hot water, then followed up with floor polish as some of the decals had lost their adhesive

I'm not 100% happy with them, the 'Vieux Charles' is too small and out of register. However that isn't likely to be the focus of attention on this model so it will do

In other news, the other wing fell off, so I pinned it back on

Richard

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2020, 08:18:13 AM »
RAGIII

Yes, and I used hot water, then followed up with floor polish as some of the decals had lost their adhesive

I'm not 100% happy with them, the 'Vieux Charles' is too small and out of register. However that isn't likely to be the focus of attention on this model so it will do

In other news, the other wing fell off, so I pinned it back on

Richard

Well at least they didn't break into Pieces  ;D Damn, I hope this is the LAST time you need to re-attach a Wing!
RAGIII