Modelers Lounge > The Nostalgia Board

Williams Brothers Gee Bee R-1

(1/3) > >>

kensar:
I guess I'll be the first to break the WW1 mold here.

This is one I have wanted to build for a long time.  I like the 'between the wars' era of aircraft and their streamline styling. 
I think the molds are from the 1970s, but the kit has been reissued more recently than that.  Not many parts here.

I added a pilot because I am working on motorizing the prop and building a display to depict the plane rounding a pylon in flight.  We'll see how it goes.

Apologies to Mr. Doolittle.

The interior longerons didn't come out as well as intended, but the reason I didn't actually build them from plastic strip is because they probably won't be seen anyway.  One interesting thing about the kit is that the monofilament flying wire rigging is not round but actually flattened as it should be.  The instructions also contain 1/32 scale drawings of the R-1 and R-2 if one wants to build the R-2 version.

Alexis:
Cool subject , always want to build a racer. Following along  8)

Terri

lcarroll:
   Wonderful Kit! I have never built a Williams Bros. Kit but have always wanted to. I love the designs between the Wars and have started picking up the odd "Yellow Wings" subjects including:

I am thrilled to find that it too has the flat monofilament you noted included, I wonder where/if we could source the stuff?!
   According to Scalemates your model was released in 1978 and last re-issued in 2009. I'll be following your efforts on this one with great interest.
Cheers,
Lance

kensar:
I find that the kit is very accurate and fairly detailed, but the 1970's era mold technology is what lets it down compared to more modern kits.
I wonder if a call to Williams Bros about the rigging would be fruitful?

pepperman42:
I think they updated the decals in later releases but if you have an old copy of  the kit be very careful with the decals. There was a lot of colour bleed.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version