Author Topic: Remember your first WW1 model kit?  (Read 7344 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Remember your first WW1 model kit?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 07:57:13 AM »
I think Mine was a Lindberg Jenny or SE5a. Built it in a matter of hours and watched the wings slope sideways as it rode in the back window of a 1950s' car  8)
After it was Aurora , Revelle, and Airfix.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 11:09:34 AM »
I believe my first one was a Hawk SPAD XIII in 1/48 scale.  It was molded in a dark green, but that's all I remember about it.  I was 11 or 12 years old at the time.  I got it as a Christmas gift at school.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 06:42:43 AM »
For me it was a 1/48 DML Fokker Dr.1 given to me by a friend who thought I needed to give modeling WWI aircraft a try. 
Little did he know what he'd start!   :)

Eric

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »
The first WW1 model I remember working on was an Aurora Eindecker.  I remember working on it at my grandparents coffee table in the 60s.  The funny thing is that I remember working on it, but I don't have any recollection of ever finishing it.  Sounds sorta like the way I build models today.  Bad habits start early.

Offline Toldbod

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
My first WW I build was the Eduard Albatros DV dual combo 1:72.

The build model can be seen here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=4008.msg68638#msg68638
Best Regards
Henning

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2019, 02:07:05 AM »
My first build was in 1967, the Revell Sopwith Camel. I was building WW2 aircraft before this but became bored so I started with WW1 and never looked back.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 08:01:34 PM »
Well my first WW1 plane was in 2011, not a long time a go...
But my very first ever built kit in 1972 was a MACCHI MC72 by Artiplast, a very basic kit

Here are the instructions

Antonio

Offline Vickers

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 09:59:42 PM »
I wish I could remember clearly- the late '60s were long ago. I believe it was either Revell's 1/28 "white box" SPAD S.XIII or Aurora's Fokker D.VII, but somewhere among those were the Revell 1/72nd three-pack with the Morane Saulnier Type N, Turkish Fokker E.III, and Naval Sopwith Camel (the same kit that I scored at Jeff's Rareplane Detective during our Vegas visit).
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 08:03:31 AM »
Great thread :) I don't remember my first WW1 model specifically, but i'd hazard a guess and say it was probably a 1/72 Revell Fokker Dr1 (the one in red plastic with the mis-placed undercarriage on the box top) after seeing the Blue Max movie as a kid in the early 90s.

I did find some old photographs of some of my builds as a teenager in the mid 90s - nothing special but still makes me smile...

Cheers

BC

Offline ermeio

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »
 Imstarted right from WWI, like many old guys in Italy...
it was the green-plastic Revell 17 that was released as a give-away attached to Storia Dell'Aviazione, an encyclopedia of the aviation sold in weekly installments with a small revell or airfix kit each three weeks...
my parents did not have enough money to continue and the nieuport went broken in my dad's hands when he tried to build it so I had to wait  some other three years and the second edition of the Storia dell'Aviazione, but in the meantime Airfix was flooding every kind of grocery with their pocket money kits, so the seed was there

Offline Vickers

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 09:46:10 PM »
Yes! It was the Aurora 1/4 scale Nieuport 11.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »
If I remember well it was a 1/72 Camel (probably the Revell kit) and the early '70s. They came without leaflet nor boxes with a weekly aviation history encyclopedia.
When I will be able to retrieve some pictures, I will post something.
On one side I miss putting together all the pieces and paint brush with industrial enamel, the only tool was a pair of scissors!  ;D ;D ;D
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline smperry

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 12:50:28 AM »
Aurora Fokker Dr.I, birthday present at age 8, (60 yrs ago). Maroon plastic, no paint but plenty of fingerprints in glue.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 11:57:38 PM »
i don't remember which actually came first, but the earliest one that was important enough to remember was the Revell 1/72 Albatros D.III, built as Voss' ship. no rigging. 

The most memorable WWI models from my childhood, however, were Guillows' Camel, built by my dad with some little help from me in Roy Brown's markings, and a really beautiful Guillow's Rumpler, built by my uncle.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 12:48:34 AM »
While at the time I could not afford it nor convince my parents to purchase for me, I think the K&B N28 box art was extremely key in getting me into WW1 models. That image really stuck with me - I went to the hobby shop weekly and spent a lot of time staring at that box and imagining how great the kit would look built up till sadly one day it was gone from the shelf. On top of that the N28 has remained one of my favorite a/c of all time.....

-Patrick