Author Topic: How do I get the decals to wrap around the tail surfaces?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline AlbertD

How do I get the decals to wrap around the tail surfaces?
« on: October 15, 2019, 05:01:40 AM »
I'm putting the decals on the tail of my WNW Fokker E. IV. The decals are a bit larger than the part and go over the edges. How do I get them to wrap around the edge and stick? I'm guessing a hair dryer might do it but wanted to ask before I mess it up.

Thanks for any help. BTW it's a wonderful kit.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: How do I get the decals to wrap around the tail surfaces?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:04:36 AM »
   I like to use a decal softening solution to achieve "wraparound" with decals. I use Microsol with good results. applying it with a soft brush and then gently and slowly working it partly around the edge. The key is to leave it to cure on it's own, usually that will suffice however the odd one may require a second treatment and a bit more coaxing.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »
   I like to use a decal softening solution to achieve "wraparound" with decals. I use Microsol with good results. applying it with a soft brush and then gently and slowly working it partly around the edge. The key is to leave it to cure on it's own, usually that will suffice however the odd one may require a second treatment and a bit more coaxing.
Cheers,
Lance
HI Lance,

I used your suggestion and it looks like it's working great. After getting both sides on I noticed there was a pair of crosses without the white background on the decal sheet so the white could be painted. I wish I had seen that sooner. I'll be more aware next time.

Thanks for your help.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
Hi,
in the same way I use Mr. Mark produced by Gunze Sangyio. It's a little bit more "strong" than Microset and Microsol and I used with great success also on "hard" decals as the old Matchbox ones.
Hope useful,
Roberto