Author Topic: A message of support for Roden in the Ukraine  (Read 5880 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: A message of support for Roden in the Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2022, 02:11:52 AM »
I have just realised that the model with the box art by Valery was at the very beginning of my venture into ww1 modelling... I do not know how to express my feelings... :'(
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2022, 04:03:32 AM »
:'(  >:( :'( >:( Horrors of this invasion will be in our minds for long, I am sure. And no one knows, how much more is to come...
And, Jeroen, as for your kids' question, the answer is apparently simple for anyone following history of this region of the world. Yet, I will not elaborate, because then my post would be removed at once... >:( :'(
My Father was in the Polish army and escaped to England to fight against the Nazis. My Mother was in the Polish resistance until the Uprising in 1944 while the Russians stopped the british airdropping supplies. I was born in London lived in England for 30 years (happily) living in peace in Austria the last 30 years and now ??? My heart goes out to the Ukrainians.
Hopefully my post doesn't doesn't get deleted too !!
ANDREW

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2022, 05:00:09 AM »
OK Guys, I'm going to leave these last two posts here for Dave to Review after the time difference is effected however please keep it non condemning. We all know that the culprits who we wish to single out are not our Members who may be hurt or offended by pointed criticism or blame. I'll be brutally frank here, I personally am moved to tears more often then not as I watch  these events and, as a person who served my country in Military uniform  for 37 years, I am not naive about the brutal situation we are witnessing but we must maintain our mutual respect and friendship as an international community of like minded genuine friends despite all of this. Please, let's not lose our place on this.
Lance

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2022, 06:21:51 AM »
Thanks for your comment lance. The point I am making is that hopefully someday we can live together peacefully again. I am living in Austria and it's history is well known and was 75 years ago an enemy to my parents, but I am happy to be here. Maybe sometime in the future the Ukrainian people and the rest of the world will be able to live together with Russia. It's just a crying shame at all the pointless death and destruction bought about a single man. I'm certain if the Russian population really knew what was going on they would put a stop to it. In the meantime let everyone please support all displaced peoples wherever they are, don't forget the chaos in Syria and many other places. It's hard to enjoy any modelling with all this going on, and not so far away.
Let peace overcome.
Andrew

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2022, 09:53:51 AM »
Folks, I'm going to leave these recent posts as they are but endorse Lance's plea to please make posts non condemning. It's difficult treading a neutral path, more so when the war strikes deep within our hobby.

Please make time to mourn and express condolences for the family of talented Roden box artist Valeriy Grygorenko, who was killed outside Kyiv on March 4.

Roden have posted a stirring tribute to Valeriy on their Facebook page.

Roden honour him as a kind, sincere and infinitely talented man whose artworks, known around the world, inspired others.

I will be conveying deepest condolences to Vladimir and the fellow Roden staff, whose safety and wellbeing is constantly in our minds.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2022, 10:37:41 PM »
Condolences to friends, family and colleagues on the passing of Valeriy in such circumstances. A great loss to our hobby. Marc

Bughunter

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2022, 12:22:11 AM »
With the loss of Valeriy the war becomes a face :(
Some days ago I watched the movie "Men of Honor" on TV. There was a Greyhound bus in one scene and I told my wife, that there is a relatively new kit of that bus by Roden available.

At that time I do not know, that he painted that cover art too.

The modeling community is not only affected by the at least temporary shutdown of more then 120 model related companies in Ukraine, but also the companies from Russia like Zwesda, Quinta Studio and so on. Due to disconnection of payment services of credit cards and Paypal to Russia nobody can buy there at the moment.

Buy the way, does anyone know anything about the status of Proper Plane?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2022, 06:07:19 AM »
Roden have posted a stirring tribute to Valeriy on their Facebook page.
That's wonderful, and I bet it showcases only a fraction of his work. Unlike other brands I'm unfamiliar with the names of many box artists and sadly Valeriy was such a person - but I have admired many of Roden's recent releases. My very best wishes to those closest to him.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2022, 10:14:46 PM »
And, Jeroen, as for your kids' question, the answer is apparently simple for anyone following history of this region of the world. Yet, I will not elaborate, because then my post would be removed at once...
Though I would never pretend to know it all (I don't) I do know enough about the region to try to explain in kid's language. They are still kids, who think more in black and white, and they simply cannot comprehend it. I'll not go and elaborate, too -though one of the more innocent questions I got asked if there is gold or valuables in those cities under attack...
There is a joy in being a kid with the horizon a lot closer :)

@Mark, that' a beautiful model! I don't have this one, but I do have the Felixstowe with Taras Shtyk boxart -I think he painted nearly all WWI model kit boxarts. (also Ukranian)

@Frank: another gorgeous boxart... I was looking for the little trick in it, and only after half an hour of staring I realized there is a mirror image of an aircraft (looks like a Douglas DC-2?) in the windshield.

Sad times for all involved :(

Jeroen

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:25:56 PM by jeroen_R90S »

Offline JamesAPrattIII

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2022, 03:58:35 AM »
RIP I wish the rest of the people of Roden luck.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2022, 10:30:02 AM »
Hi I’ve been purchasing a few Roden kits for the first time. Hopefully it helps nice kits. Unfortunately the Albatros D1 has serious moulding issues on the upper wing trailing edges. Will try to fix, otherwise will look bad. All the best to the brave Ukrainians suffering in yet another unnecessary war.
Daz
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2022, 08:35:08 PM »
Yet another bad period this poor world of ours is going through...
I have found this thread just now, and I felt the need to post my salute along with the others'. I quote Daz words: "All the best to the brave Ukrainians suffering in yet another unnecessary war".

Condolences to Roden and to Valeriy's family.