Author Topic: Sopwith 'Swallow' 1:32 scale  (Read 22582 times)

Offline dtomko

Re: Sopwith 'Swallow' 1:32 scale
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »
Just superb work, Mike!
Drew

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »
Hi all,
Weathering wash ('Flory Models' grime clay wash) applied and once dry, wiped off to leave subtle weathering, which was the sealed with 'Alclad' light sheen (ALC-311) lacquer.
The weathering is subtle as this aircraft was only flown as a prototype and saw very limited operational testing. As such it wouldn't have looked 'war weary'.
Next is pre-rigging followed by assembly then lastly, the final rigging.
After that it's just the display base,

Mike

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:02:51 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2019, 09:40:16 PM »
Every time you use the Flory wash I decide to get some and then don't  ::) I think this time has finally made Me decide to actually make the purchase  8) Looks Fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2019, 09:47:43 PM »
That top pic looks like an unfortunate crash!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2019, 09:58:28 PM »
Hi Rick,
It's good stuff and very easy to apply with no risk.
Here's an extract from my build log, which will be made available once the model is finished.

Mike

---------------------------------------------------------------
Flory Model clay washes:  These washes come in various shades and consist of a suspended and very fine clay pigment.
They are brushed over the surface to be weathered and dry in around 30 minutes.
When dry, use either a piece of good, absorbent kitchen roll or a soft to remove as much of the clay wash as you need to achieve the desired effect.
Once dampened, the dried clay is re-activated and the clay wash can be removed or worked as required.
First I seal the surface with airbrushed ‘Alclad’ Light Sheen (ALC-311), which dries quickly. A gloss coat tends to stop the clay wash ‘gripping’ the surface when it is  applied and it can run off or just puddle.  A matte coat can cause the clay wash to ‘grip’ too much, making it difficult to remove or even to wash it off completely.
NOTE 1: The more glossy the applied sealing coat is, the more the chance there is that the applied ’Flory’ clay wash will not spread fully, but rather form puddles or beads of wash. If this happens, add a few drops of ordinary kitchen washing up liquid to the clay wash. This will break the surface tension of the wash, allowing it spread fully.
NOTE 2: Always decant the amount of clay wash you need, rather than dipping the brush directly into the wash bottle. Dipping into the wash bottle can transfer contaminants from the brush into the wash, will can cause the wash to become thick and unusable.
NOTE 3: When a sealing coat is applied over areas treated with clay wash weathering, the intensity of the applied wash tends to darken. This should be considered when removing the clay wash, otherwise the final effect may appear too dark.
To apply the clay wash is just a matter of brushing all over the surface to be weathered.  It doesn’t matter really how much is applied as it can be left on for any period, as it is easily removed without any effect on the surface underneath.
If you don't achieve your desired effect, you can wash it all off and start again.
The washes I tend to use are the ‘Flory Models’ Clay Wash ’Grime’ and ’Dark Dirt’.
I use a soft brush, which has been very slightly dampened, to brush off the clay wash.
For smearing effects, a very slightly damp brush or absorbent paper should be used, but even then I dab them onto a dry piece of the paper, until it’s almost dry.
Any wetter and you’ll find that you are removing too much of the clay wash.  If that happens you would have to re-apply the wash and start again. That said, if you’re not happy with the final effect, you can easily remove the clay wash by brushing with a wet brush or even airbrush water over the surface.  Dry off the surfaces washed and then re-apply the clay wash and try again until you are satisfied.
The technique is to 'damp' brush or wipe over the surface to re-activate the clay wash and at the same time, to smear it over areas that had no clay wash.
It’ll dry more or less straight away. Then I’ll very lightly brush and/or use a piece of damp absorbent paper to remove as much as I want until I get the desired effect.
If I remove too much I just reapply clay wash to that area and repeat the removal procedure.
Once finished, just run the brush under a tap to rinse out any residual clay pigments.
Finally I usually seal the surface with airbrushed ‘Alclad’ Light Sheen (ALC-311), which will seal in the applied clay wash.
NOTE 4: ‘Flory’ current range of washes are: Dark Dirt, Grime, Black, Light (white), Mud, Sand, Rust and Concrete. All of these washes can be used as-is or mixed to create many colour shades for weathering.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2019, 11:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the detailed description of the products use!
RAGIII

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2019, 11:31:51 PM »
I too echo Rick's thanks.  Your artistry amazes.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2019, 11:56:41 PM »
Link to the Flory Models store, where they have their sanding sticks as well.

Mike

https://www.pmmodelsuk.com/tools
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:48:10 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2019, 11:30:32 PM »
Hi all,
I've been slowly working my way through the pre-riggng stage.
So far the the control lines for the Rudder, Elevator, Tail Skid and the cross bracing at the fuselage under shield panel and the undercarriage.
Next are the control lines for the ailerons and cross bracing between the cabane struts.

Then it'll be wing and tail unit on to complete aileron controls,  flying and landing wires and tail bracing,

Mike

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:08:10 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »
Mike,
    I've just reviewed your latest photos and have to say this is truly a fine and very impressive representation of the Model Builder's art ...... in a word superb! The cockpit shot and flight controls are all so beautifully represented and when the "conversion and scratch built" aspects are considered the project becomes even better.
   It's not finished yet but I am blown away by the quality of work ......... incredibly well done Sir!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2019, 12:16:58 AM »
Hi all,
Last of the pre-rigging done on the underside of the wing and on the ailerons.
Now the final assembly can be completed then final rigging,

Mike

Offline dtomko

« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »
This is just incredible work, Mike!
Drew

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2019, 09:36:31 PM »
Mike, its not clear to me in the photo but on the elevator control horns, did you drill one hole for both the control line and bracing line to pass through, or are there two holes?
Excellent detailing, BTW.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2019, 10:33:58 PM »
Simply Fantastic!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2019, 11:00:26 PM »
Hi all,
The tail unit has been finally rigged.
Included are the elevator, rudder and tail skid control lines.
Also the tail plane bracing lines.
The line end fittings are 0.4 mm Nickel-Silver tube, finished with an enamel wash.
The lines themselves are 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament.

Time to move onto fitting the wing and all of the rigging,

Mike