Author Topic: Albatros D.V green/mauve wing in WnW kits  (Read 2908 times)

Offline AndrewS

Albatros D.V green/mauve wing in WnW kits
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »
Hi!

I'm going to build a d.V from WnW Richtofen kit. The serial 1177/17 in is original colors, not overpainted red.

This one: 

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v507F2642/www/products/model_kitsets/32601/online_instructions/7132601%20Albatros%20D.V%20Manfred%20von%20Richthofen%20Page%2014.jpg

I have a problem with the green on the wings. Instructions in the Richtofen kit say dark grey green XF-65 Tamiya FS 34159

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v507F2642/www/products/model_kitsets/32601/online_instructions/7132601%20Albatros%20D.V%20Manfred%20von%20Richthofen%20Page%2001.jpg

In the old WnW D.V boxings the color was medium grey green  tamiya XF71 FS34227    (misterkit GC04)

This is new to me...  The color in the profiles is always the same, very close to the Medium green....

There where different batches? New researches available? Something else?

Thanks

Andrew

Offline RAGIII

Re: Albatros D.V green/mauve wing in WnW kits
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »
I find your question interesting in that I was going to ask a similar question for a different reason. For years profile artists and Modelers depicted the green as a darker green. When WNW released their original DV the green suggested was much lighter than I was used to seeing on Albatros Fighters. I mixed my own to My liking for that one. Since that time it has appeared to me that most modelers have been going with the mid green suggested by WNW or even lighter( Too Light in many cases. JMHO). So your question sparked My interest as I am reaching the painting stage on my DV 1187. A quick look at the Data file revealed that Ray lists 7 Methuen options for the green based on fabric samples from various Albatros and other contemporary aircraft. I will list the numbers but without a Methuen Handbook they are not much help. Perhaps a kind Modeler with the book will read this and HELP us out.  8)

DARK GREEN SAMPLES: 25D8, 26F3, 27D4,29D5, 29E4, 30E6, and 30E8.

Without the book all we can really nail down in answer to your question is that their seems to be a variety of choices:
RAGIII

PS: Personally based on nothing scientific, I would go with the darker color  ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:22:13 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »
I find your question interesting in that I was going to ask a similar question for a different reason. For years profile artists and Modelers depicted the green as a darker green. When WNW released their original DV the green suggested was much lighter than I was used to seeing on Albatros Fighters. I mixed my own to My liking for that one. Since that time it has appeared to me that most modelers have been going with the mid green suggested by WNW or even lighter( Too Light in many cases. JMHO). So your question sparked My interest as I am reaching the painting stage on my DV 1187. A quick look at the Data file revealed that Ray lists 7 Methuen options for the green based on fabric samples from various Albatros and other contemporary aircraft. I will list the numbers but without a Methuen Handbook they are not much help. Perhaps a kind Modeler with the book will read this and HELP us out.  8)

DARK GREEN SAMPLES: 25D8, 26F3, 27D4,29D5, 29E4, 30E6, and 30E8.

Without the book all we can really nail down in answer to your question is that their seems to be a variety of choices:
RAGIII

PS: Personally based on nothing scientific, I would go with the darker color  ;D

Thanks! Very interesting.

As usual there's not a clear answer.... That's a classic for ww1  ;D

ANdrew

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 10:12:21 PM »
Just for FUN here are the Lilac/Mauve sample numbers. Again I have No Idea how much they differ without the book  ::)

Lilac/Mauve Samples: 15D4, 15E2, 15E3, 17F8, 18D4, 18D6.

RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 02:00:15 AM »
Rick, with picture search I found the following, at least some codes are mentioned:
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/Brian_144/AP2.jpg

The 18 colors are on this pic:
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/Brian_144/AP3.jpg

Hope it helps,
Frank
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:15:10 AM by Bughunter »

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:53 AM »
Thanks!

Andrea

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 02:43:16 AM »
Thanks Frank, Very Helpful for at least some of the options! This is another reason I Love this Forum!
RAGIII

Offline Brez

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »
Just for FUN here are the Lilac/Mauve sample numbers. Again I have No Idea how much they differ without the book  ::)

Lilac/Mauve Samples: 15D4, 15E2, 15E3, 17F8, 18D4, 18D6.

RAGIII

Hi Rick,
      I thought this old thread on the Aerodrome was very good, don't know if you remember, but Graham (B) had the good (and noble) idea to use Resine paint charts to help modellers get an idea of the Methuen colours without having to reference the rare and expensive Methuen book.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52567

Below is the chart that refers specifically to the green/lilac colours.

https://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/Brian_144/AP2.jpg

Of course this was very much pre-WNW and all the info that is now common knowledge, but for anyone wondering about this subject it's worthwhile taking a look.

Hope this is helpful,
Cheers,
Tony.

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 08:33:19 AM »
Hi Andrew,

I was main person initiating and putting together Methuen matches using the extensive NZ Resene paint system to get decent/working RGBs for people (and so they could use these to obtain their own physical card/match-pot samples from other paint ranges). The Aerodrome site is where many were published but if you PM me your email I can supply any that you want - some of the matches in the Aerodrome site have been tweaked by me since and there are some that never got  put up. Some of them can be found on this site - unless the Photobucket link has been disabled (probably).
Cheers,
GrahamB

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
Hi Andrew,

I was main person initiating and putting together Methuen matches using the extensive NZ Resene paint system to get decent/working RGBs for people (and so they could use these to obtain their own physical card/match-pot samples from other paint ranges). The Aerodrome site is where many were published but if you PM me your email I can supply any that you want - some of the matches in the Aerodrome site have been tweaked by me since and there are some that never got  put up. Some of them can be found on this site - unless the Photobucket link has been disabled (probably).
Cheers,
GrahamB

Thanks

I think that I allready have all I need. I've seen the methuen/RGB files.  :D

Andrew