Author Topic: SSW DIII rib Tape color?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline RAGIII

SSW DIII rib Tape color?
« on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:15 PM »
A Face Book friend sent me a PM about the color of the rib tapes on SSW DIII's. The photo was sent by him in a PM so if any copyright issues I will happily remove the photo. I also have a Roden kit in My future and have noticed both Lozenge and Light blue used on Models. I would assume it Varied from aircraft to aircraft?  To me this one looks like light blue but a little imagination could make it lozenge  8) I know Terri is doing it in light blue so that is most likely correct but promised I would ask here!
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: SSW DIII rib Tape color?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
Hi Rick ,

It is a good question actually on what rib tape colour was used . Best advice I have for you is study photo's . It wasn't set in stone what what type of tapes were used . It could be anywhere from Blue , even dark blue , pink for undersides of the wings To lozenge tapes and cream coloured tapes . Two most common are the Blue/Pink upper/lower lozenge . And not all lozenge covering is set at 45 degree to left and 90 degree to the right on the underside . Again photo's need to be study on which pattern was used . There is also up and down , also applies to the lower wings surfaces as well including the underside of the lower wings .

For the scheme in the photo is light blue top side , pink underside . I will go through my refs and see what else I can find . The Windsock datafile doesn't have much on this . But Dan San Abbot shared a fair bit with me .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

Re: SSW DIII rib Tape color?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 07:04:57 AM »
I own a pre-layouted set of Aviattic for the Eduard 1/48 kit, and there are lozenge decals for two aircrafts on one sheet.
One has linen tapes (beige), and the other set lozenge tapes.
I guess they made some research prior printing.

I used the linen set for my black fuselage SSW, the lozenge tape set will be used on blue/red one in future.

Cheers,
Frank