Author Topic: Mounting aid for biplane (aircraft)  (Read 1163 times)

Offline chowhound

Mounting aid for biplane (aircraft)
« on: July 14, 2019, 12:57:52 AM »
Today I would like to introduce my assembly aid for aircraft double decker. Marrying the upper wing with the lower one is not always easy. Especially in 1/72, the struts that connect the two wings are very filigree. At our master Bughunter I have now seen such a mounting aid. But unfortunately, it is very hard to get, and very expensive. Since I'm the lucky owner of a 3D printer, I've just drawn the required brackets and printed. But see for yourself:

The printed material has made just 50 cents, and the screws (about 1.50 €), I still had in the fund. But they will soon be replaced by thumbscrews. Furthermore, I have in 1 centimeter markers ground and colored in order to align the frame better. The feet serve me two heavy iron cuboid, in which I cut suitable thread (you can of course take wood, etc.). In addition to the money saving my bracket has the advantage that it has a 3 mm support surface for the wings, and the material, since plastic, a model painting not so quickly damaged. This tool can be used for all scales (only for 1/144 it's too big)

So, I hope you like my little idea, and one or the other builds something like that.

cheers
Jürgen
Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Mounting aid for biplane (aircraft)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 04:23:06 AM »
Nice work! Looks like it will do the trick for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Mounting aid for biplane (aircraft)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »
Well done, Jürgen!  Great looking jig!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence