Author Topic: 1/72 scratch build Caproni Ca 5 - a tribute to Des Delatorre  (Read 2089 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 scratch build Caproni Ca 5 - a tribute to Des Delatorre
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:31:22 AM »
Evening all

This build was part of the GB tribute to Des but unfortunately I missed the deadline, but here are the photos of the completed model with some notes on the type. As far as I am aware there is no kit of this particular type.

The Caproni Ca 5 was designed in 1917 as a replacement for the earlier successful Ca 3 series of aircraft. The Ca 5 was slightly larger than its predecessor and the early versions were powered by Fiat A 12 engines developing between 200 and 300 horse power. Radiators were fitted in front of the engine on the booms, but in the nose of the fuselage for the middle engine which was in a pusher configuration. Three engines were used because of the nature of the terrain, (most of the bombing raids had to pass over the Alps), and distances involved: a third engine gave both increased power and a better chance for the crew to return in the event of an engine malfunction. Later variants of the basic design were powered by Fiat, Isotta or Liberty engines which meant slight redesign of the nacelles, and in the case of the Liberty engined variants, the nose radiator was replaced by one mounted in front of the engine at the rear of the fuselage. Defensive armament consisted of a machine gun in the nose and one mounted on a platform above the engine in the fuselage and behind the top wing. Most of these machines were operated by the Italian Air Force but a small number was also supplied to the American Air Service where they were deployed over the Western Front. Plans to build 1500 machines of this type in the US were cancelled when peace resumed in 1918. The type was used with some success as a bomber from late 1917 and through 1918 and after the war it continued in service with the Italian air force until the mid 1920's. At least one machine was fitted with floats and Liberty engines but this was not delivered until 1919 and so did not see wartime service. Some machines were converted to air ambulances in the post war period - they could carry two stretcher cases, one in each nacelle behind the engines, and up to 4 sitting cases in the fuselage: the fuel tanks were reduced in size to accommodate the seats. In terms of overall performance the design was a little disappointing as it suffered from constant engine problems. The fuselage engine was difficult to cool, and all of the engines tended to have a low reliability because of the poor quality control in the engine factories in Italy. Production was also hampered by the lack of skilled workers to make these complex aircraft in Italy at that time, but the type earned respect from its crews for its rugged qualities and powers of endurance which made them well suited to the conditions in which they had to operate.

The use of three engines seemed to have established a trend for larger Italian and some German interwar designs as a large number of trimotors were built and used in this period and during WW2, making use of the advantages of this particular engine layout.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/72 scratch build Caproni Ca 5 - a tribute to Des Delatorre
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
As always Stephen your build log was Terrific! The results of your scratch building are Brilliant. Lovely results and a Very Fitting Tribute to Des!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
Such a neat looking aircraft and a brillant model  :) Des would really like this one , it's so different . Right up his alley !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
My oh my Stephen, what a spectacular illustration of the Scale modeler's art! It's a magnificent Model and a real tribute to your skills as a Scratch Builder. Since you started here with us I've watched your outstanding work motivate others to delve into the art of "building from nothing" with great results, and your work improve in leaps and bounds with every successive project.
   My compliments, and Des would be beside himself with admiration of this model; it's a wonderful tribute!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
A real masterpiece of craftsmanship and a great tribute to Des.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »
Great modelling Stephen,
scratchbuilding at an higher rate, you choose a difficult subject.
Most diffucult task is to keep main wings straight, I saw some models with what we say in Italy "sad wings".
Only a thing: the two bars that keep the central rudder in reality are against the rudder movement, that pivoting on the point of connection with the fixed part of tailplane. The bars are fixed on the higher point of the pivoting bar inside the rudder. Maybe you can adjust them? Sorry if I noted now...
The rest is really first class, I'm not able to reach this high level...
Congrats!
Roberto
P.S.:......I've noted the propeller of the central engine too..... ;) :D

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
Outstanding scratch build Stephen, I am sure Des is smiling at your efforts.  Congratulations

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 08:36:32 PM »
WOW. that's a magnificent beast.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 10:00:51 PM »
A great looking model, Stephen.  I think the camouflage is done very well and those wings sure are long!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 04:16:34 AM »
Thank you all for the very kind remarks - they are much appreciated as usual.

Andy: thanks for the tips on the rudder and propellor ,(I completely forgot to alter the middle one even though I wrote a note to myself...doh!). Both issues will be addressed in the next couple of days.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 06:34:28 AM »
Stephen,
today I unpacked a huge set of Windsock International journals. With scrolling through the pages I saw a colorful drawing of a Caproni: this reminds me immediately on your nice project!
The fact, that you scratched not only some parts but the whole aircraft makes it even more impressive. So you have a very beautiful and unique model in your collection - I hope, that nobody announces this aircraft as kit next week ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »
Stephen, this is truly magnificent!  Every aspect of this model screams "Masterpiece".  Des would be so pleased.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 08:09:05 AM »
Frank and Bud: thank you for the very kind comments - coming from modellers of your calibre I regard them very highly indeed.

Frank - one of the risks of scratch building is that a kit manufacturer will come along with one soon as happened when I completed the Caudron GIV a couple of years ago!

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »

Frank - one of the risks of scratch building is that a kit manufacturer will come along with one soon as happened when I completed the Caudron GIV a couple of years ago!

Stephen.

Yep.  Stephen, that's another reason I so appreciate you and your remarkable talent. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
Oh Stephen, this was before I joined this community, but now I found it and was reading your build report - what a great project! Thanks for the hint!

Cheers,
Frank