Author Topic: They shall not grow old  (Read 2628 times)

Offline macsporran

They shall not grow old
« on: October 17, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
Just back from the live screening of PJ's WWI tribute film.
Wow!

It's not a history of the war, or an analysis of the reasons/political situation etc. It is very much a British soldier's tale, from pre war shaky black and white footage, through declaration, recruitment, training and embarkment for France. At this stage I was enjoying a lot of new footage but wondering what all the fuss was about.

Then as the soldiers arrive at the front, the screen increases in size, the image sharpens and bursts into colour and the soundtrack explodes into life. Evidently they recorded the NZ Army on artillery training and used these sounds for the shelling. The voiceovers are the BBC voices from the sixties when the survivors were still relatively young.

At this point the entire audience was bolt upright, glued to the screen as we were taken through trench life, r&r, shelling, etc building up to a horrendous tank-assisted bayonet attack into the German trenches.

PJ cuts living images of the individual incredibly young troops horsing about pre attack, with the bloody wrecked corpses lying in bits on the battlefield. Total rapt silence in the audience.

After the attack, some very moving footage of German POW's and medics helping the badly wounded of both sides. Then on to Armistice.

Interesting q&a with PJ afterwards, where he described the difficulty of getting the old jerky film looking smooth before sharpening the images and then colourising. He disclosed they had cleaned up 100 hours of footage for the Imperial War Museum but only used one hour and 40 minutes in film. So he expected a lot of much improved images in future documentaries from other sources too!

Well we all know PJ is a hero, but with this, he is now officially immortal as far as I am concerned.
Sandy

Offline Doug Mace

Re: They shall not grow old
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:05:41 AM »
Sandy, thank you so much for this...I was very much hoping someone would offer their thoughts of the film and it doesn't surprise that it was as impressive and as powerful as you say...I was pretty sure it was going to be first rate and you have verified that it is. Pretty much ground-breaking, sounds like. I am going to feel so very cheated if it don't find distribution here in North America. Anyway, thanks again. 
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline drdave

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »
Sandy you have nailed it. I went to see it with some of the club in Southampton. I have nothing to add.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »
PJ can do no wrong in my eyes...Legend!

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »
Was my wife’s birthday last night - I tried to dress it up as a romantic night at the flicks.. but she didn’t fall for it. Luckily there’s another showing on Monday!

Can’t wait!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:14:52 PM »
Was my wife’s birthday last night - I tried to dress it up as a romantic night at the flicks.. but she didn’t fall for it. Luckily there’s another showing on Monday!

Can’t wait!

Guy

;D ;D ;D
If I tried such things with my wife I wouldn't grow old neither ...
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 12:04:31 PM »
Bloody marvelous documentary. Well done Sir PJ. If you haven't seen it yet, do so! regards, Pete in RI

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 11:47:47 PM »
    I finally got to see it last month, what an incredible and moving piece of work! Sir Peter Jackson has already left an incredible legacy, and this film is a true hallmark of his efforts; beautifully done!
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
I saw a media report from NZ where Sir Peter Jackson said there's an extended version of the film either released or about to be issued. I believe it has an extra 30 minutes including a segment on how they achieved such stunning results upgrading the old footage.

Link to NZ media report:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/111890601/extended-version-of-peter-jacksons-they-shall-not-grow-old-released-for-anzac-day

This is a must-have addition to a WW1 video collection.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:51:47 AM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 12:57:15 AM »
It's out on disc...available on Netflix...just got it and watched it again (after seeing it theatrically in December) ....believe I'll watch it yet again before I send it back...an incredible contribution from Peter J and WnW Films.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 05:45:23 AM »
I finally got to see this the other day.  I'm in the USA and had to purchase a download through Amazon.com to watch.

I really enjoyed it and agree with all the praise above.

Definitely worth a viewing or 3.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
Just received the DVD from Netflix for my weekend viewing.  Really looking forward to watching it!

Eric