Author Topic: using wood grain decals on a wingnut felixstowe  (Read 2529 times)

Offline minglefear

using wood grain decals on a wingnut felixstowe
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:44:14 PM »
hello I was wondering if I could use wood grain decals on the interior of the above aircraft as apposed to using oil paints any thought s most gratefully received.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: using wood grain decals on a wingnut felixstowe
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:14:51 AM »
Sure, but it would be a lot of work. Most wood decals are very thin and trancelucant, so you need to paint the parts in a pale (white, off-white) colour and then you need to size/trace every part (and every side of that part) so you can cut out a piece of decal.

But to me, (oil) paints would be much easier and faster.

Offline minglefear

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 05:16:38 AM »
I think you are right in what you say it would be a long and tiresome way of making woodgrain but maybe I could use them for the larger parts

Offline minglefear

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:21:19 AM »
the problem I have is deciding weather to go for the Felixstowe or the AEG trying to gauge the better kit .might use woodgrain decals on the sides saw on a site a model which had used them looked ok.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
the problem I have is deciding weather to go for the Felixstowe or the AEG trying to gauge the better kit .might use woodgrain decals on the sides saw on a site a model which had used them looked ok.

Have you tried working with oils?   It's the only way for me.  Once you master the techniques you'll never even think about using decals. 
The WNW LVG was my first attempt at using oils over large areas.  Also on the prop.

Eric

Offline James

Using wood grain decals on a wingnut felixstowe
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
And to reiterate what Eric says, once you try oils you’ll never bother with decals again. Do yourself a favour and get ‘water soluble’ oils (I use Windsor and Newton); they dry much faster and can be washed off if you don’t like your initial efforts.

Red Baron, what colors of the Winsor and Newton do you use to simulate wood grain?

Thanks,
James Sontag
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline eclarson

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »
Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna over a very light buff Tamiya acrylic base. You can add transparent colour filters (Tamiya Clear Yellow etc.) over the top if you want to, but I generally like the plain oils.

Also, once you get the hang of it, you can have fun trying additional colors for both the oils and base.  Along with the colors The Red Baron mentions, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, and Van Dyke Brown, are ones I've used.  He mentioned using water-based oils but you can also use conventional oils and by adding a touch of naptha (cigarette lighter fluid) or other drying additive to the paint it  speeds up the drying.   For the base, you just need to make sure you use something that won't be affected by the oil paints or thinners.  Along with Tamiya paints I've used several of the various AMMO Mig or Vallejo acrylic wood tones and even some of the new urethane primers (Badger Stynylrez or AMMO Mig One Shot) which are available in various colors.  This is the prop for the WNW Roland C.II I'm currently building and was done with Burnt and Raw Sienna over brown and pale yellow Stynylrez and AMMO primers.

The cockpit floors are Burnt and Raw Umber over Vallejo and AMMO acrylics.  The leather seat was also done with oils over black Stynylrez primer.

Please let me know if you'd like any more information.  Doing wood effect with oils is great fun one of my favorite parts of building WWI aircraft.  :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline James

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:24:46 PM »
Thank you so much, Red Baron and Eric. Will defiinitely pick up tjose two colors. Looks like it could be fun, painting wood grain.

James

Offline eclarson

Re: Using wood grain decals on a wingnut felixstowe
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 08:40:31 AM »
Thank you so much, Red Baron and Eric. Will defiinitely pick up tjose two colors. Looks like it could be fun, painting wood grain.

James

You're welcome!  And if you'd like a little more detailed info, look no further than this same section where an article I did several years ago is posted.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=178.0

Eric

Offline James

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 11:34:17 AM »

James

You're welcome!  And if you'd like a little more detailed info, look no further than this same section where an article I did several years ago is posted.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=178.0

Eric

Wow, what a fantastic article you did, Eric. I will spend a lot of time studying it.

Thanks so much again my friend,

James