Author Topic: Encore 1/32 Albatros D.II  (Read 10018 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Encore 1/32 Albatros D.II
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 01:31:55 AM »
That looks like him
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 02:59:30 AM »
Fantastic build, Gary! I really love the early Albatrosses and also your figure painting skills are truely amazing.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
Outstanding update and I really love the MvR face ! Lovely work all around.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
Lovely interiors and a living Richtofen's head. This is going to be a real masterpiece.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »
Fantastic build, Gary! I really love the early Albatrosses and also your figure painting skills are truely amazing.
I could not say it better!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 08:16:14 AM »
I could not say it better!

Cheers,
Frank

Nor I,

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »
Good day everyone - I was able to take the big step this morning and glue on my top wing. This kit has proved very challenging so far, but my biggest worry would be this effort to get the assembly to this point without wrecking something. I ended up using oil paint streaks for the wood grain instead of wood grain decals (which I'll save for when I'm a bit better at decalling) and I masked and painted the large crosses on the top and bottom wings (for the same reason). The wings have been set up with etched metal turnbuckles on copper loops (so they swivel and look straight when the rigging lines go on). Still a long way to go on this one but a small light at the end of the tunnel.
Cheers,
Gary

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
Wow Gary, your efforts are truly paying off.  She looks great.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 11:34:59 PM »
   Looking very nice Gary, aren't those individually masked wood grain panels a riot! I swear I lost weight removing the strips of tape on mine until it was complete. I also found using turnbuckles (I used the Gas Patch ones) with "scratched" eyelets a real challenge in  trying to keep the CA to the shank of the eyelet and clear of the turnbuckle, what did you anchor them with?
   This is really coming together beautifully, I've built their Roden D.III Kit and it comes with some real challenges as I'd guess this one does as well. Great work as always!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 11:53:46 PM »
Knowing the pitfalls of the original Roden kits I am in Awe of your work! The graining is awesome as are the sprayed crosses!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 04:43:49 AM »
Juan, Lance and Rick - many thanks for your encouraging comments. To answer your question about the turnbuckles Lance  - here is a photo of a couple of them with the copper loops attached. I take the twisted stem of the copper and have a pre-drilled hole in the wings - then just carefully dip the end in cyano glue and push it in. The picture quality of the turnbuckles is a bit poor. My microscope only came with a 5 Mega-pixel digital camera, so I don't use it much.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 04:52:59 AM »
Gary,
    Thanks for the reply and info; I use 36 Ga. Nichrome wire the same way. I should have asked earlier, who makes the PE turnbuckles?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 05:19:19 AM »
I think that your comments about not being very good with transfers (decals) are a bit out of place: your modelling skills are of the highest order and it shows on every apect of this model. The wood grain effect is as realsitic as I have seen and the crosses are better than transfers. In all an exceptional model in the making.

Stephen.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 03:43:17 AM »
Gary,
    Thanks for the reply and info; I use 36 Ga. Nichrome wire the same way. I should have asked earlier, who makes the PE turnbuckles?
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance - the turnbuckles are from RB Productions in Ireland.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 09:46:44 PM »
Looking very good, Mr. Edmundson.  I especially like the wood grain fuse with the individual panels.