Author Topic: Halberstadt CL-II and Albatros DVa Stick and Tissue From Old Guillow's Plans  (Read 14938 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Thanks, Stephen. The risk part is part of the fun.  These models are all about a balance between looking like the real thing and actually getting them light enough to fly well.  We'll see how this one goes!

Here is a bit more showing the finished tails.  They will be hinged with thin, bendy wire for trim adjustment.  Next step is to lightly sand and then cover them with tissue!

Here is a link here to the latest short sped-up video showing how these were constructed if you have some time to waste!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk0hqamHdMQ&t=20s

Cheers,
Dan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:44:40 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline Borsos

This is incredible, inspiring work. Thanks for showing!

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Looks great Dan, takes me back to being a kid and trying to build one of these (did not have the patience then, and now....)

Offline RAGIII

Excellent work, Great Video, and to top it off I saw a link to a Video of the Live Aid performance of Queen and took the time to watch it...A totally satisfying experience in all categories  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Excellent work, Great Video, and to top it off I saw a link to a Video of the Live Aid performance of Queen and took the time to watch it...A totally satisfying experience in all categories  8)
RAGIII

QUEEN ROCKS!!!

I hope this Albatros does the same...Dan

Offline Monty

Some beautiful, delicate work! Looking forward to more... ATB, Marc

Thanks, Everyone!  Just a tiny update today.  I got the wing tips (both top and bottom) laminated just as the tails. Only thing necessary was to make sure my cardboard cut out was 1/16th of an inch smaller around...that's the line inside the plan's edging I drew in on the first picture.   I'll start making the wings tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Offline RAGIII

Excellent progress Dan! Looking forward to seeing those wings !
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Excellent progress Dan! Looking forward to seeing those wings !
RAGIII

What Rick said , looking forward on seeing the wings as well  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Dan,
The stick and tissue excellence as me drooling. Outstanding progress to date my old friend. Again many thanks for bringing back some memories of childhood.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: My Dad helped me (build it for me) many of Guillow's WWI line as a young boy.
" What Me Worry"

Thanks, All!  Gregory:  this is a fun trip for me too since I was about 6 when I saw my Dad crash this one.  It was a model I always remember in the basement...usually in pieces...under the stairs.  ::)

I started the bottom wing but only got half done.  Still, even with my modifications, the fit is nice and precise.  The first pic shows all the basic strip wood and ribs cut out to basically make a "kit".  The next shows the wing on the board!  I've modified the kit a bit by using laminated tips and only the mid rib and strut ribs are 1/16th.  All others are 1/32nd.  The trailing edge is also 1/32nd compared to the kit's 1/16th balsa.  I hope this saves a little bit of weight.  Light flies best!

Cheers and more soon...Dan

Offline RAGIII

Starting to look like an Albatros Wing !Nicely done.
RAGIII

Thanks, Rick!  ;)

I got the bottom wing completed...structure wise.  Now I need to final sand it and and in the scallops.  Top wing up next!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Dan,
Your wing is an excellent example of the high levels of skill and craftsmanship.Looking forward to further amazement.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
My one Uncle used to build stick and tissue kits . I would sit and watch him for hours . This is a treat . Nice work so far and I like the magnet idea . Looking forward on your next up date .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .