Forum Archive Storage > Des Delatorre International Memorial Group Build

Father and Son project: Revell Fokker E.III 1/72

<< < (2/5) > >>

Borsos:
Wonderful! Once my elder son and I started an Italeri Porsche, I think we should pick it up again some day...
Congratulations on such a nice and tallented son, by the way!
Andreas

GAJouette:
 Jeroen,
Looking forward to watching this project. The best of luck to you and the "Little Guys" my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

gbrivio:
Good to see kids on modelling. I wish you all fun in the building, I know you will have.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Monty:
This is a really great thread! These youngsters may not continue modelling into their teenager years, but with this grounding will definitely be modellers when they grow up! Well done!
Marc

jeroen_R90S:
Thank you everyone for the kind replies! I'll let Alex know the encouragements :)

Like I wrote earlier, I don't want to push anything, though I do occasionally offer to go and work on the Eindecker, and Alex sometimes likes to continue, sometimes not. So it's been a while, but here's a little update on the project:

We continued assebly, mostly using my old tube of Humbrol glue, as I can put a blob on a piece of tape and let Alex use a cocktail stick to apply the glue to the parts. The fit is rather iffy, too, and this helps with bonding, too. The little white line behind the cowl is my "fault", there was a big gap there and I just could not let it be  ;D

The it was time for what he likes most, painting. We started with Revell Aqua flat white where the white band will go. Then I mixed some sand yellow with the remaining white and he painted the lower surfaces of the wings with that, simply thinned with some tap water. Neat stuff to brushpaint, that Aqua! Revell calls for overall field grey, but I let him pick, and he wanted the lighter colour on the wings.

Then it was time for some complicated masking, which obviously I did for him:

And after that it was time apply the field grey, not being too pickey I simply took some colours I had on hand and mixed Revell 67 grey-green with flat white (about 50-50), put in some tap water and held the model for Alex -after that I masked off the forward part and let him paint Revell 99 Aluminium. I think he has a talent!
I also quite like the grey-green mix so I wrote it down in my colour mix book -I just might to an aircraft with field grey on it once!

Today it was lovely weather so I painted it gloss with an acrylic spraycan, together with his older brother's Stuka in desert colours. Last time with him I skipped the gloss and the decals would not move nor stick so it wasn't fun, so I explained to both of them I needed to do this so the "stickers" would actually stick.

Now to find some time to read and comment on all the other builds here....... and finally get my own D.VII done! All this father-son modelling takes away from my own modelling time, but I'm not complaining ;-)

Jeroen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version