Author Topic: Father and Son project: Revell Fokker E.III 1/72  (Read 5805 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Father and Son project: Revell Fokker E.III 1/72
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 05:43:45 AM »
Unfortunately I wayy missed the deadline... the thing when building with young kids, is that their interest is on-off-on-off; unfortunately the interest wasn't there for a few months, until last week when Alex spotted the half-finished Eindecker and wanted to finish it.

So I applied the remaining decals and he painted the remaining parts -their installation was mostly my work, as they're just too small and fiddly for a four year old. He did apply the (tube) glue with a cocktail stick, so even though we missed the deadline it is still finished :) Rigging is up for the next build!  ;D
I now also know why most kid's models come with stickers instead of decals, it's not  really handling those, but the attention span -by the time the decal is loose from the backing paper, the attention is lost already ;)

Still, the things we did together were a lot of fun, so much that I we bought a HobbyBoss easy-assembly kit as a next model. Less small parts, and more stuff to paint, which he really loves :) As I wrote, though I did some masking, he did all of the painting. I can really recommend Revell Aqua for kids, great stuff that makes painting really fun. 

Best regards,
Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 07:55:55 AM »
Great to see you guys finished this one! Congrats to your son...and you!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 09:20:32 AM »
Jeroen,
    Young Alex may have a short attention span but I'll bet he keeps the memory of this experience a very long time. Good on you, and a special and lasting tribute to Des from a great team of Model Builders! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »
Hi Jeroen

It's wonderful to see a father and son project on the Forum and we look forward to you both showing us other models you make. It's really important to encourage children to make models and Alex has some real talent on show.

Many thanks for sharing these photos with us.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 04:39:37 AM »
Wonderful to see this project take such great shape! I hope your son is chuffed!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 04:46:07 AM »
Lovely!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 07:20:49 PM »
Thanks Rick, Lance, Dave, Monty and Andreas!

It's  been a lot of fun, and given that I now had to get 2 of those HobbyBoss Easy-Kits I suppose Alex' brother (7) enjoyed building his 1/72 Italeri "snake" Stuka as well, though I had to help out more with that, as it's really too complex. I still let him do a lot of thing as well. The only drawback is that I can't work on my own models!  ;D

I'll see if I can post some pictures of the Stuka in Off-topic later, the next models are off-topic as well: HobbyBoss' P-39Q and a Yak-3. Going Russian this time ;)
Guess it can't hurt in an age where everything seems to getting more digital and outsourced to aquire some practical skills :)

Jeroen

Offline Europapete

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 08:01:12 AM »
I remember starting my son off on the kits, we  happily built them together until he discovered video games and girls lolol. He has, however, turned into a superb clay sculptor. He is 27 now.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 11:45:44 PM »
They may stray from the model building but you have inspired them and fired up their creative side!!

Steve