Author Topic: KP 1/72 Airco DH.5 A9242  (Read 818 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
KP 1/72 Airco DH.5 A9242
« on: April 01, 2022, 09:45:24 AM »
Hi all,
Ever since I first saw the John Shively-built replica in action at the Classic Fighters 2005 airshow I've had a soft spot for the DH.5, and immediately wanted a model of one. I later learned this aircraft, ZK-JOQ, is the only full-scale representation of the type in the world. Thanks to Kovozávody Prostějov we now have a modern kit of this unusual machine in 1/72 (as reviewed by Dave W here) and, what's more, it comes with the same markings as worn by my "local" replica...and is featured on the box art! So it's a no-brainer as to how I'll build mine.

So far I'm working on painting as many parts on the single sprue as I can:
KP 1/72 Airco DH.5 replica ZK-JOQ by Zac Yates, on Flickr

It'll be OOB apart from rigging - originally I wanted to replicate the replica's modern engine but that would necessitate a new prop, so I'll just stick with the kit parts and use Jamo's excellent photos of the replica as reference for the build. A friend of mine has flown TVAL's ZK-JOQ so my intention is to pass on the completed model to him - I understand that TVAL's training programme is Tiger Moth > DH.5 > Pfalz, so there are a lot of folk in NZ with DH.5 time logged.
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

Re: KP 1/72 Airco DH.5 A9242
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 11:45:47 PM »
With all of these Builds rolling at once  You are getting more like Me every day Zac ! Looking forward to your progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

Re: KP 1/72 Airco DH.5 A9242
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 07:27:51 AM »
Really good to see another model in God's Own Scale being built Zac. This is a very infrequently seen type so it attarcts my attention. Will be following with interest.

Stephen.