Author Topic: COMPLETED - 1/48 Albatros DVa  (Read 16213 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: COMPLETED - 1/48 Albatros DVa
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
I love this! Many congrats on your richly deserved reward!
I feel bad that I didn't clock this before - I guess because you got on with the project in good time unlike myself ;)

I'm especially curious about your experiment with water effects; may I ask - What did you mean by 'gloss mod podge' as regards the final wave effects? Or if you formed the waves/river flow some other way, what was that?

At any rate, if this really is your first try at water effects, I'm hugely impressed.
WWI features a plethora of interesting seaplanes, but modelers rarely seem to risk their beautifully crafted machines in creating a suitably appropriate scene. I'm hoping to take the plunge some time, so many thanks for your fine example!

Cheers
Mark

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2019, 09:47:05 PM »
Same thoughts here.  That water is done remarkably well.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2019, 02:55:41 PM »
Thanks Mark - mod podge is a craft product, which has quite a few uses, see here:

https://modpodgerocksblog.com/all-about-mod-podge-gloss/

I applied it with a brush over the top of the cured resin and used an airbrush to create the ripples.

Thanks again,

BC

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2019, 04:27:44 AM »
Just a beautiful piece !! Thanks also for the link on the mod-podge.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2019, 06:37:40 AM »
A couple of questions, Brad.  How thick was the Envirotex lite layer?  Did you pour multiple layers to build up to the final thickness?  How thick was the Modge Podge layer?

Any watch outs or potential problems in creating the water effect?

Thanks,

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2019, 07:12:22 PM »
Thanks Brad - didn't realise it was a brand name :)  And I think it must be the same or similar stuff that several firms our way offer to complement their water effect products. Great to see how effective the results can be, in your scene. Must experiment!

Cheers
Mark

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2019, 05:46:01 PM »
Sorry for the late reply Ken, I've been overseas for the last two months and it skipped my mind to reply!

The Envirotex needed a couple of layers. I made the first one a little too thick (~1.5cm) and the base bowed a little due to the heat as the resin cured (somewhat un-cleverly hidden with black strips at the bottom of the base). So my advice would be to go slow and do multiple thinner layers of under 1cm. 

You do have a little bit of time with this resin to get rid of bubbles (breathing on the resin for 5-10 minutes helps to do this, but I still found some bubbles were left over. A small heat gun might do a better job). Don't expect to get anything other than a flat top layer with this resin - if you try and do anything after about 10 minutes the resin is too sticky and won't re-level or smooth out properly. I'd do a test run before you commit to it on a project. Other than that it was easy to mix and to add colour to.

The Mod Podge has the consistency of white glue so it is fairly thin and easy to use. The ripples were done by applying the mod podge and using an airbrush to 'blow' the ripples into the surface.

Cheers!

BC