Author Topic: hello from new orleans  (Read 1249 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

hello from new orleans
« on: January 30, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
hello gentlemen, been a while , i have been stopping in from time to time but ,have not been modelling in a year or so.i had gotten in a rut you see so i dusted off my guitar and started playing again. i used to be quite good and play live 2 to 3 times a week for almost 20 years. katrina destroyed everything i owned including a ton of music gear. i got a guitar afterward but stopped playing out right before then so i didnt re purchase any gear and was given a hand me down amp. well when i picked up my guitar and started playing it became evident i needed a better amp. i wanted a tube amp like i used to have but could not afford to get one, so being an electrician and a former electronics tech i thought of building an amp. well they sell kits for tube amps but those are extremely expensive too. so i said to myself why cant i do that but more economicaly. so i started reading and studying and joined a couple forums and i was off. i felt revived like i did 10 years ago about ww1 aircraft and building models. at this time i have built several guitar amps each one sounding better than the last, i scavenged parts from old beyond repair radios,stereos etc. i have also gotten several old radios and record players working again so its fun for me.oh and i built a guitar. cheers gents

i am not going to give up modelling but i have decided to thin out the stash a bit. i have so many rare ,exotic ww1 aircraft kits but will never be able to build then all. but i just accumulated one or two here and there as well as new releases. plus i could use the money at the moment. i decided to sell some things and have posted the first of probably a few "for sale" threads.

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: hello from new orleans
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »
1939 sentinel radio and a western electric amp

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »
1947 record player and 1951 wire recorder

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:27:39 AM »
Hey Albatros it is good to hear from you again. I really look forward to seeing you post some more model build threads and completed models - you have been much missed.

I do hope that things are looking up for you again in all ways too.

Regards,

Stephen.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
very kind of you to say dear sir, and i truly do miss you guys . i have been lurking the last couple days and posted a couple comments on lovely builds. its weird, i still love the aircraft and such and i literally do have too many models to build. i was just bored or uninspired at once and had to do something different for a bit. you are one of the guys that i have been online chums will for a decade i feel as if you gents are at least still kindred spirits always. i am sure everyone has other interests.anyhow thanks for dropping in it was nice to say hello.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 05:32:47 AM »
Welcome back :) Really like those old amplifiers and radios you have there!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »
thank you jeroen its fun and there is a quicker payoff for sure. usually i can get something running in a few hours and tip top in a few more. on that wooden sentinel radio above thats the 1st picture i took and i did a wood and veneer repair which after glued,clamped and sanded i used stain mixed with artist oils to impart patina to the repair making virtually invisable.