Author Topic: Aircraft in Pixels No. 2: Albatros D.V  (Read 467 times)

Offline Flugzeugwerke

Aircraft in Pixels No. 2: Albatros D.V
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »
Hi guys,

Bear with me for a second here. :)

Recently I dusted off a project that I started nearly ten years ago. I'm bringing it to your attention because I think we are kindred spirits and some of you might get a kick out of this. Others will certainly be completely turned off, and I totally get that.

In a nutshell, here's my basic idea -- try to capture some of the the fun, joy and wonder of those first model airplane kits we all had... in ... yes... a video game. I can hear you groaning! But what if you could build a model airplane with your fingertips, paint it, decal it, set the prop spinning... while on a flight to Tuscon? (or where ever). Yep, there have been a few WWI aviation-related video games, and there are tons of great work being done in the flight sim community, but from the scale modeller perspective, everything out there --at least that I have seen-- sucks in one way or another. (Sometimes in more ways than one.)

So -- my goal is to deliver an accurate, detailed virtual model airplane kit that you can assemble and paint, using the same sorts of skills and sensibilities that you bring to your real models. Decals and colors will be painstakingly historic, and if you don't like my PC-10, well, you can mix your own. Yes, there will be rigging, but it won't be as challenging as it is in scale. Etc. My goal is to deliver a simple toy -- something to wind down with at the end of the day. In the morning you can get back to your (incredibly fragile) masterpiece.

The first WWI subject is the Albatros D.V. Those of you that know me will understand that I'm a little obsessed with this machine, but it's not hard to argue its significance. If this takes off I promise i'll tackle something with circles on the wings...

forgive me if these pix are in semi random order. Generally trying to illustrate the basic assembly step (all that exists at the moment), and the painting and decaling system. you can paint directily on the model in 3D view in a very naturalistic manner, or you can paint on the model in one of many 2D views.

A web version app is currently available to play around with at http://aircraftinpixels.com -- runs best on Chrome or Firefox; won't run at all on mobile or Internet Explorer (should run on Microsoft Edge, though.)

Eventually this will be an iOS and Android app. If there is sufficient interest (unlikely) this could also be released as native PC and Mac apps.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:08:47 PM by Flugzeugwerke »

Offline IvotB

Re: Aircraft in Pixels No. 2: Albatros D.V
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:40 AM »
Hi Bo,

Good to hear rom you again. I wonder if the Albatros DV is already finished in real life ;)

But I'll try the app when I find the time between work and family. Not on route to Tucson (been there once) but I travel more to Strasbourg (not the one in Pennsylvania).

Sounds interesting!

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:48:00 PM by IvotB »

Online janh

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 06:32:40 AM »
Hi Bo, SUCH FUN! love the sound effects. I feel like an air-mechanic

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
Hi Guys -- thanks for the encouragement :)

Jan -- glad you were able to try it and you thought it was fun -- that's the magic word. Glad too you were able to make any sense of what to do  -- many of the controls remain "mystery meat" because I'm still working out what does what. ;)

left & right arrow keys rotate the model around the yaw axis
up & down arrow keys to rotate the model around the roll axis
"[" & "]" to pan left & right
"<" & ">" to pitch the model (US Keyboard ! I am aware that many Euro keyboards are laid out differently...
"-" & "+" to zoom in and out on the model (again -- US keyboard layout... making these things universal is in the cards)

As hinted, the assembly step that is currently live is only the nearly final step... working now on some of the more basic pieces...

cheers,

--Bo
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:26:38 AM by Flugzeugwerke »

Online gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »
Really cool, it promises to be a nice building and painting shop.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline IvotB

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 03:15:44 AM »
Just a small remark:

Pan left and right on my keyboard works with [ and ] and not with ; and "  . Perhaps this is a European setting?
But when I do that both the fuselage and the lower left wing move. And that way I can't attach the lower wing to the fuselage.  It might be that that is the next step in development.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 03:26:12 AM »
Just a small remark:

Pan left and right on my keyboard works with [ and ] and not with ; and "  . Perhaps this is a European setting?
But when I do that both the fuselage and the lower left wing move. And that way I can't attach the lower wing to the fuselage.  It might be that that is the next step in development.

regards,
Ivo

Ivo -- oops -- you are right; it is supposed to be "[" & "]" to pan left & right. D'oh. Post above corrected.

The ultimate target platform for this project is mobile so the keyboard controls will be superseded by touch (or click & drag) inputs eventually. But the PC & Web versions will retain keyboard control as well.

In a version to come I will add keymapping into the settings so that you guys can override with what suits you best...

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 03:10:46 PM »
today's progress on the fuselage frame. horrid yellow color is placeholder!!!!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 06:46:03 PM »
Hi Bo,

Ooh no glue splodges or fingerprints! Great idea.

Guy

Offline Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 05:49:29 AM »
Very nice!
But all this virtual things keeps me from progressing on my REAL bench ::)

Cheers,
Frank
Wikipedia says: A model is a simplified representation of reality.
So I create downscaled originals.

Offline krow113

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 06:19:21 AM »
Looks like fun and a lot of work on your part!
 I work on the computer almost all day everyday , signs then model/forum work , so its tough for me to keep going in a leisure sense on the computer.
I see some potential for decal and masking work. As guys design their own schemes they may need the masks or decals for them.

I'll watch as I can see you are looking at different directions for this application/program.

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Here are some new framework pics from in game. (Note this stuff isn't live yet!) Next step is to add the code so that you can assemble this stuff...

stay tuned...

Offline Gene K

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »
Impressive talent!

Gene K

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
Thanks Gene!

Some modeling progress -- MG mounts, seat, partially refactored former station #5; also reinforcements and doubler near cockpit opening. New stuff in white awaiting UV mapping & texturing...

cheers,

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »
Video demo of the first seven assembly steps.

https://youtu.be/vhEyjJxPxlE

cheers :)