Author Topic: How to keep paint from peeling off with mask.  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Stonewall34

How to keep paint from peeling off with mask.
« on: February 06, 2019, 01:16:02 AM »
Hey fellow modellers,
How do I keep paint from peeling off with my mask.  I use Tamiya tape, de-tacked with my finger, and use Tamiya paint (acrylic) thinned with Isopropyl alcohol.  When I peel the tape half of my paint comes off.  I spray at 15psi.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
Frank

Offline Gisbod

Re: How to keep paint from peeling off with mask.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:28:28 AM »
Hi,

If you clean the surface before painting and then spray a primer (mr surfacer 1500 is very smooth) - you shouldn’t have any issues. The only exception would be some high shine metallic paints. But with a decent primer you really should be able to rip away to your hearts content!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:05 AM »
If I remember well Tamiya acrilics thinner is acetone based, isopropyl alcohol is better suited for Gunze - Mr. aqueous hobby colors. Using alcohol as thinner might weaken the paint layer, specially on unprimed surfaces. I suggest you Tamiya thinner, and don't leave the tape too much time on painted surfaces.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline krow113

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:47:01 AM »
There are tips fpr removing the tape or mask as well.
The best is to pull the mask back over on itself and pull it back flat.
 Rather than a straight up at 90 degrees pull.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »
Frank,
    I agree with Giuseppe's comment; I use a lot of Tamiya however I thin it with their lacquer thinner (yellow top) and very rarely have a problem with tape lifting it provided it's dried well. I'm also careful to use Krow's technique to pull off the tape.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rayb24

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
Havent posted for a while. I agree with others. A good primer that bites into the plastic and is flat not shiney help with any paint.
Ive never had tamiya paint lift. I cant say that for other acrylics. One point though. If you thin too much you can get to the point where the paint layer has very little adhesion once the thinner has evaporated.
You can get around this with hotter thinner. Mr colour self leveling being one, but if you smell it, i’d bet its part laquer thinner.
Ray