Author Topic: Practice is over - time for WW1 kits  (Read 1868 times)

Offline aliluke

Practice is over - time for WW1 kits
« on: November 05, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
Hi
I've been relearning plastic modelling with the Porco Rosso Savoia S21 at 1:48 and a very old Williams Bros kit of the Wedell Williams 1:32 (flown by Roscoe Turner in the Thompson Trophy). These were practice kits to get into the mindset. Learning how to use an airbrush...!!! and generally getting around how unforgiving modelling plastic kits are versus wooden kits.

The Williams Bros kit of the Wedell is 30 years old and the big frustration was the decals which often disintegrated - another learning curve which I failed on the cowling decal. So it missing the chevron - it turned to dust. Oh well. So not entirely accurate. The fit of parts was also really bad and difficult to correct - oh well again but next - the WNW Sopwith Snipe. WW1 planes from now on.

Best regards
Alistair
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 04:06:17 PM by aliluke »
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Practice is over - time for WW1 kits
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
Two extremely nice looking models Alistair, despite the age of the Williams Bros kit you have done a superb job, old decals always cause issues though and something that is difficult to overcome. Looking forward to seeing you build the WNW Snipe, it is a brilliant kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
Hello Alistair

Well done with the old Williams bros kit! Having battled your way through the bad fit of parts, you'll find the WNW kits an absolute joy of precision. Take care though to clear any build up of paint from gluing surfaces because the tolerances are very tight.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 11:27:35 PM »
    Looks like you are indeed ready for a Wingnut Wings Build Alistair, those vintage Kits are beautifully finished. Good luck, take your time, and above all enjoy. The Snipe is a beautiful Kit, I think you'll like it a lot!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 12:57:12 AM »
Like the others Alistair that's a lovely result on the Weddel despite it's difficulties. I've just started my first WNW kit too so good luck with yours I'm sure you will quickly find just how good they are.

Regards - Tug

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 03:09:21 AM »
 Alistair,
 Very impressive work on your practice Weddel my friend. Looking forward to seeing your new Snipe project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline aliluke

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »
Thanks all
You are very kind - I have a lot to learn about this plastic kit stuff - started on the Snipe this am with the little wicker work seat. The moulding quality of the WNW pieces is incredible especially compared to Williams Bros.

Best regards
Alistair

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »
Beautiful work, Alistair!  I love those old racers and now you've got me tempted to order a few.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 12:52:32 AM »
Gorgeous work on the vintage kits! I think you wil really like building the Snipe! The fit is tight but not quite as critical as some other WNW kits. The positive location elements built into the struts make the mounting of the upper wing practically fool proof! One of WNW best engineered kits to date,IMHO.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petero

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 05:25:50 AM »
Excellent work on the two kits!  Having just completed my first WNW build, I can say you'll have lots of fun and encounter fewer problems along the way.

Incidentally, if you ever build another Williams Brothers kit, they will replace the old decals for you.  I've done that with a couple of them.

Peter

Offline aliluke

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »
Thanks all
Peter had no idea you get the decals from Williams - I didn't even think they still existed. I have a few other kits from them so will have to investigate. I could have fixed that cowl failure decal on the Weddel  - oh well...

I'm trying out Photobucket to get bigger/better images up - here goes - the Savoia in closer detail.

Best regards
Alistair

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/aliluke/media/pb1_zpsylzgfitr.jpg.html?o=0

- Edit - It gives the link but doesn't show the picture further investigation required...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 06:15:11 PM by Des »

Offline aliluke

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »
Another go...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 06:49:15 PM by aliluke »

Offline aliluke

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 06:45:22 PM »
Now I get it...techno idiot that I am.  :-[