Author Topic: My Third Degree  (Read 1419 times)

WarrenD

My Third Degree
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »
Amidst a world of bad news, this week especially, I want to post something positive.  :)

On June 24th I will take my Third Degree and become a Master Mason. It's something I set out to do over twenty-five years ago, but I let real life get in the way. It has been a truly enriching experience for my life, and made more so by the fact that I'm going through it now with my son.

I just didn't know if there might be any other brothers here on this forum.

Warren

Offline Cimmerian

Re: My Third Degree
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 01:43:43 AM »
Congratulations, always nice to read about something good happening.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:56:26 AM »
Congratulations.
As said before I am from Germany, I thought the Masons are a secret society. Wow, I see, I could learn a bit more every day.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 08:52:38 AM »
Manni,
          Aspects of it are, however, at least here in the U.S. our Lodges are clearly marked and identified, and we make no secret of the work we do for our communities, charities, etc.
    Sadly, there have been places and times when they've been hunted down and persecuted,imprisoned, and even killed out-right. Ergo the reasons for secrecy in many aspects of it.

Warren

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 09:19:02 AM »
Good for you Warren !

( Schon fur dich Warren ! ) Sorry ,I haven't quit figured out how to add those dots for the O and U using this thing called a computer .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »
Congrats Warren!
Terri, search for "character map" and you should find what you need.

Ian

Offline IvotB

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 04:57:41 AM »
Schön für dich, just use the " and then the vowel (now I'm lost :), I mean the a, e, i, o, u :), I'm not sure about the correct english word for that group).

In german it is also allowed to write it otherwise if you can't print the Umlaut:
Schoen fuer dich. Just put an e behind the vowel. Another nice thing is the Ringel-s. I never can find that on my keyboard, just use ss for the Ringel-s

Any native german may correct me. I just have to do a lot of correspondance and E-mail in german.

I just arrived from the Czech Republic. Nice language as well with all the ' ` and other signs.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 05:22:43 AM »
Schön für dich, just use the " and then the vowel (now I'm lost :), I mean the a, e, i, o, u :), I'm not sure about the correct english word for that group).

In german it is also allowed to write it otherwise if you can't print the Umlaut:
Schoen fuer dich. Just put an e behind the vowel. Another nice thing is the Ringel-s. I never can find that on my keyboard, just use ss for the Ringel-s

Any native german may correct me. I just have to do a lot of correspondance and E-mail in german.

I just arrived from the Czech Republic. Nice language as well with all the ' ` and other signs.

regards,
Ivo

Everything's correct :) Your German is brilliant!
 If you have a short vowel (like in "dass") you use "ss", but when it's a longer vowel (like in "er aß" - 'he ate') you use the "ß". Originally it wasn't a double "s", but a "sz" connected by typography in a ligature (like here in "Gießerei":
)
Please forgive me, the German teacher in me forces me to teach when it comes to German grammar... I cannot resist ...aaaargh....
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 07:36:31 AM »
...... anyway to get back to the original thread, good for you Warren. Congratulations.

I had no idea they covered so much, I just used to fancy Sheila Ferguson!
S
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:41:00 AM by macsporran »