Author Topic: Hello from Sydney  (Read 1483 times)

Offline dinor

Hello from Sydney
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
Hello Everyone...my name is Dino , I hail from Sydney and I have been one of those 'lurkers' for the last few months. I responded to Jamo earlier today re one of his posts and decided it was therefore time to come out despite the fact that I am still very much 'taking' from this site with not too much to 'give' as yet.

I am 53 and, like many, first built a love of aviation via plastic models in my very early years ( i.e. before I was 10 ) this progressed to Radio Control (scale models and sailplanes ) which has been my passion ever since though in the last year or so for some inexplicable reason I have been drawn back to the world of plastic/static modelling ... no doubt fueled by my daily visits to this site and not just for the remarkable talents and modelling on display but also by the 'vibe' of the interactions between members.

I have built up a small' ish stash of  half dozen or so WNW kits including the Gotha and Felixstowe, however to 'develop' and rediscover lost skills I have just completed a 1/24 Airfix Spitfire ( I seem to like them big!). This has also provided the justification to purchase a range of paints, an airbrush and all the necessary bits and pieces.

I am now looking forward to newer kits with better parts fit and lots less flashing !!! ........... After seeing Epeemans recent thread and before tackling the WNW stash I decided to purchase the  1/24 Merit SE5a and DR1, and have commenced work on the former and I am already appreciating the subtle differences between this and the older Spitty.

I am considering starting a build thread but wonder if members have the patience ( I am a slow builder... the Spitty took 9 months) or whether or not I have anything to 'give' that would be of interest.

To be frank I am also starting to doubt my sanity, I had the very recent opportunity to acquire a trifecta of the Hasewaga 1/8 museum series ( DR1, SE5a and Camel )..... if I add these to the two Merit kits, the WNW kits and a couple of RC related Proctor WW1 kits ( Albatross DV5a and Curtiss Jenny  http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/products/museum/albatros/albatros.htm) then I need to retire early to finish all the builds...... and sadly I am not in a position just yet to contemplate that. Maybe its a middle age thing as I always lusted after the Hasewaga kits when I was younger but could not afford them :)

Anyway discipline and planning in what next to build will be required, I am not good at working on two or three projects simultaneously.

In some other spare time I am also a volunteer member and tour guide with the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society ( www.hars.com.au ) and enjoy that tremendously.

Anyway this post has ended up longer than expected for an introduction ...my apologies..... in summary I have great admiration for this site, and the skills therein , I hope in time to contribute to the knowledge pool but in the meantime you are all a fantastic source of entertainement and inspiration for which I thank you ...though my wallet may not  :D

Kind Regards Dino

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hello from Sydney
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »
Hello Dino and welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward so much to your participation with the forum and its members, it is nice to have a member so close to me, I'm just down the road in Shoalhaven Heads.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
Welcome aboard, Dino  ;)
There can be no one slower than me when it comes to building WW1 aircraft, so don't worry about that!

Enjoy!!

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:08:26 PM »
Hello Dino,

Hi from England  ;)

The best way is to get a build thread going! You get great tips and encouragement that way. It really pulls you along through the build...

I'd love to see a Merit kit in the making!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:49 PM »
Welcome Dino. You already know how good this forum is; I find it a constant source of inspiration.

Best wishes from France.

Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Dino.  Good to have you aboard!  I am sure
you will enjoy the friendly atmosphere here.  Don't worry about your
"slowness".  I have perfected modeling at Glacial speed. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :) 
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:49:34 PM »
Welcome aboard Dino,
 Don't worry about the pace, or the skill level. We all started (and most of us, restarted) sometime. You'll find that posting a build log will help enormously in getting back up to, and exceeding, your previous skill level - it certainly has for me.

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 11:19:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Dino. As others have noted already, starting a Build Log is a great motivational tool and will encourage all sorts of feedback. I'd really like to see a Log on one of the Merit 1:24 Scale Kits as well and those 1/8 Hasegawa kits have always interested me. I join the rest in confessing to a pathetically slow building pace so you are in good company!
Enjoy! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:20:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Dino!  Great to have you aboard and out of lurk mode.  I look forward to seeing those Merit kits come together.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 04:25:38 AM »
Hi Dino, it is a pleasure to welcome you to the site! I hope you get lots of inspiration... your credentials are excellent! There is no reason not to grab one of those excellent WNW kits and dive straight in with a blog... the help and enthusiasm here is just fantastic... Regards, Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
Welcome aboard, Dino  ;)
There can be no one slower than me when it comes to building WW1 aircraft, so don't worry about that!

Enjoy!!

vB  :)

This is true Dino , we all raise or hands on this one . We don't judge here so start your build thread . We would love to see your work !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline dinor

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:53:38 PM »
OK OK, thanks for the kind words and I get the message but be it on your heads  :D

I will set up a build thread for the SE5a over the next day or so, I can already sense my standards are being lifted....I will now have to paint the WHOLE Cockpit assembly...... not just that section that would have been visible from the cockpit and which was acceptable until now  ;D.

Des, thanks for the comments, we should catch up as I'd love to see your scratch builds 'in the flesh' ... we can also meet sometime at the HARS museum ( I am assuming you don't live far away) and I can take your picture in the drivers seat of an F111 ..............

Dino

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 07:05:12 PM »
Sorry for the late welcome Dino but it is great to see you come out of lurk mode. Like the others have said please do post a build thread. You certainly can't work any slower than me  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler