Author Topic: Hello, I'm a returning WWI 1/72 modeler from Spokane, Washington, USA  (Read 1429 times)

Starfire94C

Hello,

I am a life-long modeler, though the last WWI aircraft I built was in 1999. I don't know why I left it, but I'm really getting back into the genre. My favorite aircraft is the Fokker D.VII, followed by the Gotha bombers, of which I'm currently working on Roden's G.Va. I'm very excited about the quality of the available models (much better than the late '90s!), and especially the incredible decals, such as Aviattic.

I hope to learn much from this forum and the wonderful expertise that resides here, just please be patient with me as I haven't studied WWI aviation as much as most of you, so I may ask some pretty rookie questions.

I've attached some pictures of my last WWI build from 1999, my 1/72 Eduard Stripdown Sopwith Camel,  it has survived remarkably well considering it suffered four moves overseas and back to the US mainland while I was in the USAF. I added a great deal of internal detail and all internal rigging (beyond what Eduard provide). I scratchbuilt the stripdown Snoopy and doghouse, and yes, they are scaled to 1/72. Don't look to hard at Snoopy, or you will see he has only four ribs, ha!

Personally, I'm a retired USAF Major, but started life as a military brat and lived all over the world. My father flew AH-1G Cobras in Vietnam, West Germany and the US. I started my military career as an enlisted Paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division, working on the AH-1G, UH-1A, UH-60A, and OH-58A. Then I went to college and received my BS in Industrial Engineering and an ROTC commission as a Lieutenant in the USAF. My first assignment was prevention of/destruction of the world as a Peecekeeper ICBM launch officer (missileer), then followed by more peaceful pursuits in logistics, with many incredible TDYs in remote areas doing disaster and famine relief, with two tours in Hawaii (hey, someone had to do it!) doing POW/MIA investigation and recovery, mostly concerning the Vietnam War. I especially enjoyed being a Deputy Commander of our POW/MIA detachments in Hanoi and Vientiane, Laos (1999 and 2004, respectfully).

I now reside in western Washington State and enjoy hiking our beautiful land and staying in shape.

Cheers,
Don Hinton

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:01:50 PM by Starfire94C »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Hello, I'm a new 1/72 modeler here
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Don, but I warn you this stuff is addictive! Keep in mind there is no such thing here as "pretty rookie questions", we all like to help and you'll find no end of that and knowledge on this site. Your Military career certainly provided you with some memorable assignments, not to mention some really great opportunities to see the world. I did 37 years in uniform, travelled much less, but wouldn't exchange a minute of it!
Enjoy the Forum and I look forward to seeing your work.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IanB

Re: Hello, I'm a returning WWI 1/72 modeler from Spokane, Washington, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »
Welcome back Don,
 I spent 5 weeks backpacking in Vietnam in '95, it was definitely a little quieter and more friendly then. A friend picked up a small book in a market place written by an ex-Vietcong who stated that they would often bury US casualties inside the tunnel walls because they knew the psychological effect it would have to not be able to find them. I'm sure you know that, but thought I'd mention it, just in case...
 Love that camel, and the Snoopy, by the way!

Ian
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:26:20 PM by IanB »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
Welcome and enjoy the forum Don

Steve C

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Hello Don and welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to your participation with the forum and its members.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:13:05 PM »
Welcome aboard, Don!  That Camel is phenomenal!  I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:15:59 AM »
Welcome aboard, Don!  That Camel is phenomenal!  I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with my Amigo Bud as to the Camel! Welcome from the Mountains of North Carolina! Again referring to the Camel I am sure I will be asking you questions rather than the other way around  ;D Enjoy your comeback!
RAGIII
PS: Thanks for your service!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline malaula

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 01:45:16 AM »
Wow!I'm lost for words,Don,simply gorgeous work ! Really lookin'forward to your next builds!
cheers 
matz

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 02:00:32 AM »
Hi Don! Welcome to the site and I hope you find lots to keep you busy here... You have an amazing resume and have had a very fulfilling career. As you say, Someone had to do it! That's a very beautiful Camel! Well done! Regards, Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 09:48:36 AM »
Hello and welcome  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Starfire94C

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
Thank you everyone for the kind remarks, I look forward to learning from everyone here!

Ian, thanks for the info on the book your friend bought in Vietnam, and yes, you are correct, our Vietnam experts were aware of that, but finding individual MIA burial sites is the hardest to find, let only if they were buried in existing tunnels to make it difficult to find them at the time let alone 50 years later. There probably are still some of those MIAs buried like that. So many to look for.

Regards,
Don

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 08:35:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum Don.  As Lance mentioned, there should be a
warning here that it really can become habit-forming. ;D  Good to
have you aboard!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Pgtaylorart

Welcome, Don. Your stripdown Camel is unbelievable!! :o :D And it's 1/72?? Wow.

George

Offline Nigel Jackson

Hello Don and welcome to this wonderful forum. The Camel looks really impressive.

Best wishes
Nigel