Author Topic: Boaty McBoatface  (Read 1845 times)

Offline macsporran

Boaty McBoatface
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »
My last attempt at a humorous posting kinda fell flat and was removed, so I post this with a little trepidation that some may not get this, but I have been giggling uncontrollably ever since this story broke a few days ago.

The National Environment Research Council in the UK are building a new £200M polar exploration vessel and have opened an online poll to ask for suggestions for a name. Amongst many worthy suggestions, such as the RRS David Attenborough and RRS Henry Worsely have come a number of less serious suggestions - such as RRS It's Bloody Cold Here and RRS Usain Boat.

However the runaway leading contender is RRS Boaty McBoatface with 30,000 votes compared to 3,000 for the next suggestion.

See attached BBC news report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35861444

The spirit of The Goons and Monty Python is alive and well in good old Blighty!
Sandy

Offline IanB

Re: Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
Thanks Sandy, I miss that sense of humour here in the US. I too am now giggling like a little boy...

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:05:06 AM »
Some very clever and humorous names have been suggested but this is typical for UK humor, BTW, it is a really nice looking ship.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:02:52 PM »
I saw a Guard on South West Trains called his Waterloo service train "Trainy McTrainface", made a lot of people very happy.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »
Sorry,

I don't get the joke. I am German, as you know, so I miss the nesessary genes...

Can someone please explain to me why "Boaty McBoatface", "Trainy Mc Trainface" or "Whatever Mc Whateverface" is supposed to be funny?

Is this some kind of follow-up on Monty's "the deadly joke"?

:o

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:53:36 AM »
I don't expect you will ever "get it" , but this explains the trope about as well as anything:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2016/03/25/boaty_mcboatface_mcdreamy_tits_mcgee_and_the_internet_s_favorite_naming.html

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 01:25:27 AM »
Sorry,

I don't get the joke. I am German, as you know, so I miss the nesessary genes...

Now I am from Holland so I am right between British and german humor and this!

has me rolling on the floor laughing!!!!!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 03:04:00 AM »
Sorry,
Can someone please explain to me why "Boaty McBoatface", "Trainy Mc Trainface" or "Whatever Mc Whateverface" is supposed to be funny?

Hey Stefan, don't sweat it - it's a very British thing.
Ignore the "explanatory" links posted above - there is nothing particularly funny about xMcX - the humour is in our peculiar habit of cocking a snook at anything that might be seen as portentous, worthy, pretentious or high-minded.

The NERC obviously expected some very high-minded responses and the fact that somebody offered up the most stupid kindergarten name is just too irresistible for us. No matter what the vessel is actually called, to all the sailors on board she will always be Boaty McBoatface.

I'm sure somebody on the train offered up McTrainface as a homage to the wonderful NERC appellation, (and the internet animal names are just a bit derivative after that.)

The same humour, in poking fun at anything too serious, can be seen in many examples. Two that come to mind would be:

1 When Spike Milligan was being presented with a lifetime comedy award, the compere tried to read out a letter from Prince Charles. It gushed that the Prince had always revered the Goons and particularly Milligan. "Oh the little grovelling bastard!" said Spike right into the microphone.

2 When US and British forces were closing in on the Tora Bora caves complex in Afghanistan, the US military called them the "Caves of Death". British troops called them "Tora Bora Tompkinson"  (after an airhead socialite called Tara Palmer Tompkinson, who was always appearing in the tabloid press.)

The same humour abounded in WWI of course when troops sang humorous songs about the most dreadful things like Whizzbangs etc.
S

PS ..... or Archie - a fearsome explosive flak weapon, designed to blow you and your machine to pieces or shred you with shrapnel - and the RFC pilots nicknamed it after a music-hall comedian' s catchphrase 'Certainly Not, Archibald' !!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:47:15 PM by macsporran »

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
Sorry,

The same humour abounded in WWI of course when troops sang humorous songs about the most dreadful things like Whizzbangs etc.
S

And pots of jam, Kitchner's beer, etc. I've got a two CD set of Coope, Boyes, & Simpson, and the original pieces they do just crack me up, but then I've got a dark sense of humor (humour) anyway.

Warren