Author Topic: Modeling club bias against WWI aircraft?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline boggie

Re: Modeling club bias against WWI aircraft?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »
Would Leonardo Da Vinci join a modelling club?

Why would he, there was no competition :) :)

Des.

But didn't he allegadly say, art is never finished, only abandoned.

Only his self criticism was relevant. 

So why would he join an art competition?

Of course he wouldn't.

It's quite apparent that there is quite a bit of Leo's attitude here.

And that is a huge positive!

JMHO  of course  :)

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 07:07:51 AM »
When it comes to clubs I take the same opinion as that of Graucho Marx.  ;D

For those not old enough:

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:00:02 AM »
I have had some experience with IPMS clubs having founded a couple of chapters myself. ( Flight 19 in the Ft. Lauderdale Fl. area is still alive and well) My experience with "Local competitions, especially anything Monthly, is that there were never enough Models to break down into appropriate categories. Therefore things tended to go in LARGE groups, Prop Aircraft, Armor, Jet Aircraft, Vehicles etc. So the more familiar the subject, and most of all the flashiest WOW models, tended to win. By familiar I mean Bf109s, Mustangs, German Armor etc. No real prejudice they just judged what they understood :-)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 08:40:50 AM »
I have found a very simple solution to avoid the bias at modelling clubs, I don't join any and I never enter any competitions, problem solved.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 10:10:21 AM »
I have found a very simple solution to avoid the bias at modelling clubs, I don't join any and I never enter any competitions, problem solved.

Des.

Same here Des , makes the hobby for more enjoyable . I have never been to show or enter a contest with the exception of a few on the forums .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »

Des.

Why not just "exhibit" , pictures are just ...  there is nothing comparable to the Mark I eyeball to really appreciate the fine work that you do !  And it might just inspire others to join our niche.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
I joined a model club in my area about 5 months ago. In the "show and tell" there were no WWI models of any sort when I went to my first meeting. I brought my WnW DH.2 and got a lot of positive comments and questions. At the subsequent monthly meetings, more and more WWI models are appearing, including WnW kits and some really well done armour. I think many members just aren't exposed enough and are a bit intimidated by WWI airplanes with all the rigging. I've given much advice and explained exactly the techniques I've used, most of which I learned on this forum. (Thank you all very much!) I disagree that we should avoid the clubs. We need to get out there and educate people and make a presence!

Ok, I'll get down from my soapbox now. ::)

George

Offline davecww1

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 06:13:49 AM »
Ian  B has a good point, he comes to our Wings & Wheels Valleycon, which seems to have about 3 or 4 "usual" WW1 builders but I'm doing more to promote the WW1 side of the hobby through the local club, we have made 1916-2016 the centennial of WW1 the show theme this year.  It is advertised as the main design of the show flyer and in order to draw more modelers we are trying something different, an "Open" judging system for WW1 theme models that is open to all types, aircraft, figures, armor, artillery, ships or whatever was used between 1914-1918.  Hopefully this will draw more modelers into the WW1 theme.
Dave C

My local club on Cape Cod is very small, maybe only 8 or 9 regulars: there's me, a 1:72 German armour builder, a guy who does the most amazing scratchbuilt fire fighting vehicles, and the rest are cars or whatever takes their fancy! The only competition I attend annually is Valleycon in Chicopee, Massachusetts and there are only 3 or 4 regular WWI exhibitors including myself, but there is a special award for best WWI aircraft, which is nice. We also enter under "rigged and multi-wing" but there are very few, if any, in that class other than WWI aircraft.
 I prefer the "elite" label myself: although we all know that rigging isn't as hard as it looks, that's what puts so many off, I think!

Ian

Offline Jeff T

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
From the shows I have been to on the East Coast of Australia, any well done WW1 aircraft models have always received plenty of attention.People seem to really appreciate the complexity of the builds with the rigging and paintjobs etc.

At Model Expo in Melbourne last year, which is Australia's biggest show/comp, the best of show was a Wingnuts Fe.2b with a Felixstowe a very close second.... the Felixstowe was probably the most talked about model there, people were absolutetly amazed by it.

For a big show though, the WW1 category was small compared to others.

Cheer's,
Jeff.