Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Pup RNAS 3(N) Squadron "Black Arrow"  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Monty

Re: WNW Sopwith Pup RNAS 3(N) Squadron "Black Arrow"
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »
Thank you all for looking in and the replies - it really does help. When I get to this painting phase I always go a bit slower - I like the paint to dry and cure before re-coating... Thank You Des Martin, FarEast and RAGIII for the comments - really appreciated. Rob, Thank You for your comments too. Just to review exactly how I did it - The first layer was Tamiya Acrylic Aluminium, sprayed on in a fairly thin coat and allowed to dry for at least a week to really harden up. Then at the same session I sprayed a generous layer of hairspray (The cheaper stuff is better, I find) and allow it about 20 mins to dry - it must be dry to the touch. Then I sprayed a coat of Tamiya Black - also acrylic - here a mixture of Gloss and Matt with a touch of grey to lighten it a bit for scale effect. I dilute the paint well with Tamiya Acrylic thinners and literally mist over a few light coats until the black has covered the silver (and Hairspray) completely. Now I wait til it is touch dry - about 30 mins in our hot and dry atmosphere! Then at the same session  I attack it with a scouring pad and create the scratches and chips - Scrape for the scratches and grind for the chips! I use the pads with the plastic kind of rougher side, the metal ones would be too rough... The trade name here in Darkest Africa is Zim... The technique is always worth a try, I got great effects creating that snow camo wearing off armour models with it... When I next do it I'll take photos and do a step by step...

Sorry for the long winded reply! Back to the Pup... Masked the black cowling panels and sprayed the underside... I don't know if the colours will be the same to you, but it's a nice deep cream... now all I need to do is mask the rib tapes and spray around them for the deeper shadows... that should take me a few weeks to do!

I didn't forget to do the ailerons! But I will paint, mask, repaint and decal them separately before attaching them...  'sigh" I don't see a quicker way of tackling this....

Regards,

Marc

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2015, 06:13:58 AM »
Hello Marc!!!

Looks to me like she is ready for some paint ;) Can't wait to see you taking on the camouflage... also there is no need for quicker ways in our hobby as long as you enjoying it - all ways that lead to the great results (that you are after) are the right ones ;) :D

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2015, 09:26:29 AM »
Looking forward to the next painting phase!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rob

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
Marc,
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try it. Take your time on the painting. It's a hobby with no deadline ( unless it's a group build or there's a contest you want to enter coming up :) ). Have fun!
v/r,
Rob