Author Topic: LVA Albatros B.II registration LA-31 and LA-39  (Read 1233 times)

Offline IvotB

LVA Albatros B.II registration LA-31 and LA-39
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:20:47 PM »
Surprised by the Christmas release and supported by the excitement here I ordered a B.II as well and started some research. Some of you may remember my build log on the LVA Fokker D.VII (3 years ago) and this plane should have the livery af a LVA plane as well.

I found on the IPMS NL website that there have been 2 Albatros B.II's serving in the LVA. LVA is an abbreviation of Lucht Vaart Afdeling (Aiviation Department), the section of the dutch armed forces which marked the beginning of the RNLAF.
These 2 planes landed in the Netherlands in 1916 and as the Netherlands remained neutral during ww1 planes were almost never returned, but were interned in the armed forces. As far as it is registered I have the impression that all these planes were 'bought' by the dutch government as there always was a payment to the original owner nation.

But now there is the problem of finding out what these planes looked like. The markings are quite simple and both planes seem to have had the wooden fuselage and doped linen wings, rudder and elevators. But more difficult will be to find the correct engine, radiator and exhaust lay out.

The original registrations were 78/14 and 610/15 for the LA-31 and LA-39. Suggestion is that the first had a Mercedes 100hp engine and the second the 120hp version.

If I take a look at the Windsock Datafile 93 the first will be produced by Albatros and the second by Roland.

If anyone has more information, especially about the first (78/14) I would be very interested.

There are just some general pictures:

Especially about this type there seem to be more pictures about the accidents than others.

regards,
Ivo

Offline ermeio

Re: LVA Albatros B.II registration LA-31 and LA-39
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Thank you for these photos, Ivo!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »
I am afraid I can't help with any additional info but I am looking forward to watching your build of the BII!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:27:42 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your build of the B.II.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com