Author Topic: Re: A Group Of Our Forum Members Finally Meet At CapCon, Ottawa, Canada  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: A Group Of Our Forum Members Finally Meet At CapCon, Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 02:28:16 AM »
"Without hesitation, though, it was the story sessions over a beer that were the highlight for me. Great friends, and a great time."

Lots of conversational highlights for Lindsay, I'd say. Mark got him up to speed on Marine Corps lore. Then Lance and I got him qualified as a Forward Air Controller (calling in fighter ground attacks while marking the target with artillery). Then I further qualified him as a Centurion tank gunner, followed by Chris who discussed the finer points of police work.  Then Lindsay qualified us all as "Soil Physicists!"

Good friends, good food, good fun, all overlaid with a very generous helping of "model mania." What a weekend!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 02:56:45 AM »
Just catching up here.

I have to say this is all quite heart warming and a fine, story telling bunch of posts. Good for you gents for making this rendezvous happen. And hearty "Well Dones" to you medal winners among the bunch. You make us all proud!

Google says it's only a 7 hour drive from NYC to Ottawa...so who knows about the next one???

Cheers,
Michael

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »

"Google says it's only a 7 hour drive from NYC to Ottawa...so who knows about the next one???"

Now, wouldn't that be grand...............keep that thought, Michael!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
not so far from my place in the UP either...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
What's the 'UP' Bo?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:13 PM »
"not so far from my place in the UP either..."

I like the inference Bo; good grief, CapCon Ottawa could become the "Nats of the North" at this rate! We five were truly awe struck when we pulled it off, can you imagine a larger group getting together?! :o 8) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
I'm just a dude from California, but isn't the "UP" the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

George

Offline mgunns

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 08:28:35 AM »
My wife and I , God Bless her; drove from Western Wisconsin, through the UP, Upper Peninsula, to Sault St. Marie Canada in a day.  So it can be done.
I did get a picture of the J-1, not the best but the J-1 none the less:

I also got the engine of the AEG, but; I must have moved, (obviously) as the picture is blurred, but; you can make out some details.

This was truly an outstanding trip.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:55:33 AM by mgunns »
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
What's the 'UP' Bo?

Cheers,

Chris
our
Sorry Chris, yes, the UP = the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; Mary & I have our hideaway on Lake Superior up there. The Soo (aka Sault. St Marie) is about a two hour drive from our place.

How about organizing a get together @ Knowlton next summer? Not at all far from Montreal, which is an amazing city.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 03:11:16 AM »
How about organizing a get together @ Knowlton next summer? Not at all far from Montreal, which is an amazing city.

I'll have to pass on that idea Bo. As far as I know, Knowlton only has the D.VII and not much else that would be of interest to me at least. I'm just not very captivated by the D.VII. CapCon on the other hand, was a model show with vendors ready and willing to take my money.  ;D  Being in Ottawa, there is also the Canadian War Museum, Aviation museum, and assorted others to visit to fill in the downtime at the show.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.