Author Topic: I Need a Blue  (Read 1060 times)

WarrenD

I Need a Blue
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:21:46 AM »
Forumites,
               Based on the research/articles by Alan Toelle in WS, I am in need of a dark blue for the roundels and rudder of my Nieuport builds. None of my decals, aftermarket or kit supplied, come close to what is required. So, I'm left with either masking and spraying or spraying some clear decal paper and cutting them out.

I think it is close to the ultramarine blue used in RFC roundels.

Any suggestions?  I prefer enamels or lacquers, but acrylics will do in a pinch.

Thanks!

Warren

Online petrov27

Re: I Need a Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »
Apologies, I cannot assist with a color suggestion, but am curious about the dark blue for French markings; is that a new change in thought? What WS is the issue to get that shows this research? Most interesting....

Thanks!
-Patrick

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:48:28 AM »
Apologies, I cannot assist with a color suggestion, but am curious about the dark blue for French markings; is that a new change in thought? What WS is the issue to get that shows this research? Most interesting....

Thanks!

Boy, they sure weren't dark on any of the planes I saw @ the museum in Paris, and there was some original roundels on display, too. Interesting.

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:57:43 AM »
Bo, I know, right?  However, this is something the Alan Toelle says is unique to Nieuports, and not other a/c such as SPADS, Salmsons, Voisins, etc. To be honest, I prefer the lighter, duskier blue, it's more pleasing to my eye. Nevertheless, I can see the logic in what he's saying based on the evidence he presents, photographic images, etc.

A well known autochrome bears out what Mr. Toelle says here, at least IMHO:

And here:

Petrov, the relevant articles are in WS vol. 23, no. 5 and no. 6.