Author Topic: What is your gloss cote?  (Read 950 times)

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
What is your gloss cote?
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:01:52 AM »
I will be away from this forum in the next 2 or 3 weeks as I will recieve the keys to my new house in a couple of days!!
There I wil create a new hobby desk as the old one is beyond repair..
Also I am about to take my hobby more seriously and although I will never be a great air-brusher, mabye I can become a decent one. I have a new brush (Harder and SteenbecK) and mostly I use Tamiya paints. I am about to buy a better compressor, but maybe I need to change my paint/gloss systemas well.

One of the things I want to do is start using the Aviattic decals and this calls for a very good gloss cote.
So....

the more answers the better!

1 what is your base paint?
2 What do you use for a gloss cote?
3 What do you use as a thinner?
4 what pressure  settings do you use?
5 do you prep the paint underneath (wet sanding/polshing)?
6 do you think it is glossy enough?
7 wtat do you use for a semi matt or matt cote?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: What is your gloss cote?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 04:23:12 AM »
Congratulations on the house!  That's awesome. 
I'm not sure if this is available in Holland, but I like to use either Krylon Acrylic in a rattle can or Mr. Hobby Topcoat, also in a rattle can.  I use these for gloss, semi-gloss and flat.  I heat the cans in hot water and shake them for a few minutes before using to prevent "orange peel" and runs.  I also warm up the surface to be painted, either in the sun or with a hair dryer to ensure better adhesion.  I always get a super smooth, even finish using these products and this technique. 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline davecww1

Re: What is your gloss cote?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
I tend to use the Future or Johnson's Kleer floor polish for a good gloss coat that drys fast and is very durable.  This can be airbrushed on or painted by brush and is self leveling so usually gives you a smooth glossy finish. To make various finishes such as flat or semi-gloss, I mix in various amounts of Tamiya flat base - test this before spraying on the model, you must stir it thoroughly and not put in too much flat base or you get white spots in the clear.  This finish is acrylic and can be sprayed over acrylic or enamel with no problems as long as the paint underneath is dry.  To clean it out of the airbrush I use windex glass cleaner, the ammonia in this removes it from the airbrush nicely.
Dave