Author Topic: Hello From Coastal Georgia, USA  (Read 1034 times)

LTCjRet

Hello From Coastal Georgia, USA
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:19:17 AM »
Hello. My name is John (the 'j' in my username) and I appreciate being brought on board.  I'm 57 and a retired military guardsman (of the green variety) after 23 years in uniform. In my civilian life I was an aerospace engineer, also retired.

I started modeling as a young kid and among my first plastic kits was a Spad, slathered in glossy enamel with a paint brush. I continued building through high school concentrating mostly on WWII warbirds and a few artillery pieces. My final piece was a FW-190 which brought me first place (against little competition) in a ROTC model contest. My hobby lapsed for 40+ years as college, careers, and family took center stage. In retirement I decided to resurrect it, doing it the "right" way, and invested in the tools of the trade.

My first effort was an armor kit of the Pz IVH which served as a testbed for experimenting with weathering techniques. While it was way overdone it served its purpose and turned out reasonably well. I then switched back to warbirds using one of my all-time favorites as the subject, the Westland Lysander.

With the centennial, I've decided to return to my first love, WWI aircraft.  Waiting on the shelf are two 1/48 Bristol F2b's (favorite aircraft of the period) for practice, a 1/48 Eduard Alb D.V, and the crown jewel, a Wingnut Wings Brisfit, all to be assembled in that order. I look forward to picking up tips and ideas here - with the occasional picking of brains, hopefully.

My other hobby is messing around with small scale detailed work on my CNC router. Yes, I am and always have been, a nerd.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Hello From Coastal Georgia, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:41:11 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, John!  Great to have you aboard.  Excellent work on the Lysander and the target.  The Biff is also one of my favorites and I look forward to your renderings.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:16:26 AM »
Welcome to this great forum, John. Like you, my favourite aircraft is the Bristol F2b. I've built the Eduard Brisfit and thoroughly enjoyed doing so, and have both the Roden and the magnificent WNW version in the stash.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:53:01 AM »
John,
    Welcome to the Forum and back to the Hobby, this is a place you will definitely enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
Hello John and welcome to the forum, so nice to see your here. I am looking forward to your participation with the forum and its members all of whom are very willing to share their knowledge, they don't mind having their brains picked. I built the Bristol F.2b quite some time back and still regard it as the best kit Wingnuts have ever produced, you will thoroughly enjoy the build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »
Welcome to the site  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
John,
 You have come to the right place - Welcome!
I look forward to seeing your Brisfit in the making  ;)

VB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:39:41 AM »
Welcome aboard John!  I look forward to your posts, builds, etc.

Warren

LTCjRet

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
I thank you all, gentlemen.  I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with what I've seen here and look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 01:16:33 AM »
John,
A belated welcome from North Carolina! I am looking forward to seeing your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler